Alfa Romeo Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts

·
Registered
44,773 Posts
Recently acquired one of these watches that also measures your steps per day, heart rate and how well or badly you sleep. Not sure how accurate this thing is but my heart rate has been measured as low as 44.... that's not normal is it?!? Fortunately my sleep patterns are good, good ratio of light sleep, deep sleep and REM sleep... how something on your wrist knows this is beyond me!

·
Premium Member
77,201 Posts
Coincidentally....I have started in the last few months to get this sudden burning pain at the underneath of my forefoot in between the wee toe and the toe beside.....lasts for about 10 seconds then goes.....but can appear at anytime.

I was putting it down to the sciatica I have as I feel a pain down from my bum right down to outside of my leg.

Could this be go

Don't wanna be obnoxious Steve....but are you a fat bastid ? 31lbs !!!!
I have enjoyed a certain relaxed muscularity.

·
Premium Member
77,201 Posts
Attended 1st diabetic review yesterday afternoon. Frustratingly, I have relatively little to offer to support the original thrust of this thread. My condition is under control, with blood glucose well into 'normal'. In other words, with these numbers coming off the street, I wouldn't be talking to the nurse.

So, onward we go. Incidentally, the NHS is a beaut. As well as the regular tests and reviews, I'm now going for retinal scanning, foot exams by nubile pod-nurses, free prescriptions, and a pneumonia jab. I was hoping for a blue parking pass, but I might have to depend on the ankle for that one. In time, dear friends. In time.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Attended 1st diabetic review yesterday afternoon. Frustratingly, I have relatively little to offer to support the original thrust of this thread. My condition is under control, with blood glucose well into 'normal'. In other words, with these numbers coming off the street, I wouldn't be talking to the nurse.

So, onward we go. Incidentally, the NHS is a beaut. As well as the regular tests and reviews, I'm now going for retinal scanning, foot exams by nubile pod-nurses, free prescriptions, and a pneumonia jab. I was hoping for a blue parking pass, but I might have to depend on the ankle for that one. In time, dear friends. In time.
Was it a 12hr fasted test again? Good news its back to normal. The body is great at sorting itself out once you correct the fuel inbalance from bad diet. Did they stop your Metformin?

·
Premium Member
77,201 Posts
Was it a 12hr fasted test again? Good news its back to normal. The body is great at sorting itself out once you correct the fuel inbalance from bad diet. Did they stop your Metformin?
Yes - fasted test again. I have another in April, because they test a fair bit in the early stages after diagnosis.

They are maintaining Metformin now, but will review in April. Could reduce then - but they recommend that maybe going to 1 pill a day still has cardio vascular benefits that are worth hanging onto. No side effects for me, so why not?

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Yes - fasted test again. I have another in April, because they test a fair bit in the early stages after diagnosis.

They are maintaining Metformin now, but will review in April. Could reduce then - but they recommend that maybe going to 1 pill a day still has cardio vascular benefits that are worth hanging onto. No side effects for me, so why not?
Are they testing your blood for vitamin levels as well as blood glucose? I think its B12 which Metformin knocks your ability to absorb, and its quite an important one so make sure you're getting plenty / supplementing if necessary.

Metformin is a strange one - bodybuilders have been adding it to their stacks for years too, so it must do some good. In some people it seems statins can have negative effects on muscle mass, testosterone levels, metabolic rate but Metformin seems to do the opposite. But my feeling generally with meds (and this might be ungrounded) is that if you don't need them it is best to be off them.

Assuming your April test is all good, periodic monitoring of fasted blood glucose levels is about as much depth as the NHS goes to, but the next level if you're into it is to buy a blood glucose test kit & strips from Amazon and test blood sugar following eating. You would eat a defined/measured/repeatable meal, then test blood glucose after 1 hour, and again 1 hour later, again 1 hour later etc until you are back at baseline, graph the data and then repeat regularly. What you want to be testing for is to see how high your blood sugar spikes after eating and then how long it takes for it to become normal again. Keep doing the same test over a period of time and hopefully you might see a trend forming of lower spikes and quicker reversions to normality. This is a good proxy for measuring actual insulin levels, which is much harder to do. If you do this, you will know if you are continuing to improve your metabolic function or not - moving further away from the diabetes end of the scale and back towards completely normal function. The NHS just want to make sure you're out of the dangerzone and that you stay out, which you are now, but beyond that I don't think they will do further testing. The closer to normal you can get the better, because ageing inevitably drags us all in the wrong direction. Luckily all this kit is readily available and cheap as chips.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I have a doctor review next month for my ongoing Omeprazole medication. Probably about time, I've been taking it for several years since I was first prescribed.

I'd really like to stop taking it, as I don't really like the idea of long term medication. But I have independently tried on a couple of occasions to stop taking it - and both times the issue I have returned pretty quickly.

That issue is some sort of muscular spasm in my throat which makes it close up completely when eating. Apparently it's caused by reflux - even though it is only very rarely accompanied by heartburn.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I have a doctor review next month for my ongoing Omeprazole medication. Probably about time, I've been taking it for several years since I was first prescribed.

I'd really like to stop taking it, as I don't really like the idea of long term medication. But I have independently tried on a couple of occasions to stop taking it - and both times the issue I have returned pretty quickly.

That issue is some sort of muscular spasm in my throat which makes it close up completely when eating. Apparently it's caused by reflux - even though it is only very rarely accompanied by heartburn.
Any actual stats associated with this Bazza?

Asking for a friend.....

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I racking my brain, since it was a long time ago that all the diagnosis stuff was done - but I can't think of anything stats based really.

Number of times the throat clenching up issue has been bad enough to cause me to vomit = 1.
Number of times my daughter has since talked about that with panic in her eyes = 3,000.

Number of times I had to swallow some sort of chalky, mildly radioactive liquid for a scan = 1.
Number of times the toilet had to be flushed to get rid of the weird, white, apparently extremely heavy poo that resulted from it = 25.

They're not really what you were after, are they?

161 - 173 of 173 Posts