Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
In my own defence as thread starter - I specifically said that was about bad numbers. It is definitely not a "my old aches and pains" thread - despite what a few have posted.

My intention was to build an Alfaowner frankenstein composite of record blood pressures, cholesterol counts, lung capacities, wheezy asthma puffers, plummeting blood platelets and any other assorted extreme readings for health stats.

However. I've lost interest in that now.
Blast from the past...when I was going through my chemotherapy nearly 8 long years ago I got a rather large build up of ascites (fluid) in the abdomen area.
Only way to get rid of this really uncomfortable mass was a large tube stuck into my side to let it drain out.
Three times I enjoyed this....first time they got 5 litres outta me,then 7 litres...and my piece de resistance...a 10 litre special...which lost me a cool 18lbs in one afternoon.
All a dim and distant memory thank goodness.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
You're much better off eating fruit & drinking water than drinking fruit juice. Fruit is full of fibre and digests slowly, fruit juice has no fibre and the fructose goes straight to your liver almost immediately rather than being slow release. Your body can't do anything with fructose until it is first processed by the liver, just like alcohol. I never knew about the benefits of cherries, I'll mention it to my mate.
To be clear, it is not made from concentrate, so it is not what might be considered as "usual" fruit juice and it it is very tart, which has taken a while for me to get used to.

This is the stuff that I drink: Biona Organic Tart Cherry Juice It is not cheap.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
My more recent football games have seen my heart rate topping out a little lower, in the 170's.

What is confusing is that the watch is showing me as being at VO2Max for a significant proportion of each game - like 25%ish. I don't know what has changed, because in games last year since I got the watch (around September I think) I was not hitting VO2Max at all.

Another thing which has suddenly changed in my football games (and I'm immensely grateful for, but don't understand) is that the crippling calf cramps which I was getting pretty much every game have not happened at all since the New Year.
We've actually moved to a new sports hall, so I'm wondering whether it's the playing surface. Previously I have tried many things to try to stop these cramps, including different stretches, warm up runs, compression socks, ibuprofen (in tablet and gel form) insoles, different boots. None have seemed very successful.

I guess it's possible that I'm running a lot more now I don't have the cramps, and that's why my heart rate is much higher. Step counts don't seem to bear that out though.

·
Premium Member
77,202 Posts
Well this is a cheerful old thread isn't it!!? The day I start whinging about all my health issues (none yet....but only 53)….. let alone doing it on a public forum.....will be the day I realise that I really am old and have nothing better to talk about!! My mum talks about little else.....Im not going to be like that!
Congrats on your lack of health issues.

It may seem strange, but if anyone derives any form of reassurance, sense of solidarity or is encouraged to seek help as a result of having their knackers tackled in this or other threads, then I'm pretty comfortable about it.

Men are funny things sometimes. I went to see a doctor about chest pains after months of ignoring it. Part of what got me grudgingly across the threshold was the nagging memory of the comments from a good member of this forum who once said something (in general)...and it stuck in my mind.

·
Premium Member
77,202 Posts
I've lost 31 lbs so far, and yesterday two things were apparent as I donned a suit for work.

1 - I don't need new shirts because I'm now fitting some nice ones that I previously felt must have shrunk.
2 - I do need new trousers, because these were bunching when I tightened my freshly drilled belt.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I've lost 31 lbs so far, and yesterday two things were apparent as I donned a suit for work.

1 - I don't need new shirts because I'm now fitting some nice ones that I previously felt must have shrunk.
2 - I do need new trousers, because these were bunching when I tightened my freshly drilled belt.
Have you checked the number on the front door of the house you are in?

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Right - so Ronan's newly introduced stats have given me (ironically) a new lease of life for this thread and I will summarize the Alfaowner frankenstein of bad health stats:

Cholesterol 7.3 (I'm discounting PoPs "8.something" as he may have misheard) v healthy levels <5
Blood Pressure 219/141 v healthy levels of circa 180/90
Triglycerides 8 v healthy level 2
Potassium 7.5 v healthy levels of 3.5-5
Glucose 54 v healthy levels of 70-130
10 litres of Ascites in Abdomen v healthy levels of, well, none I expect?

While I appreciate references to Sleep Apnea and high peak heart rates - they aren't sufficiently "statty" or negative to be included.

We've also had references to "purine levels" and Uric Acid levels - but nobody has (yet) put a number on either.

I'm still after some "crown jewels" like Platelet Counts in single figures, Lung Capacity under 2L and perhaps some anaemics can offer up Iron levels in the low 20s?

Sufferers of Gout and "Calf Cramps" :rolleyes: can do one

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts

Nice results. Do you have a goal in mind? I was out for dinner with the Mrs the other week in the same shirt I was wearing when I met her 13 years ago, which I don't think I will have worn for almost a decade. I seem to have plateaued at -47lbs give or take a couple, but with spring around the corner I'm hoping to get out more with the dog in the evenings after work.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Sufferers of Gout and "Calf Cramps" :rolleyes: can do one
Oi, they really hurt.

But not as much as your dismissive attitude. :(

If you need numbers, I can confidently state that they hurt 134 times the upper limit of normal calf hurtiness.

·
Premium Member
77,202 Posts
Nice results. Do you have a goal in mind? I was out for dinner with the Mrs the other week in the same shirt I was wearing when I met her 13 years ago, which I don't think I will have worn for almost a decade. I seem to have plateaued at -47lbs give or take a couple, but with spring around the corner I'm hoping to get out more with the dog in the evenings after work.
Goal is around another 18lbs to go. Like you, I'm anticipating taking advantage of better weather and longer days.

I'm already seeing significant benefits regarding ankle pain.

I'm buying things with 1 or 2 fewer X's.....

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
I keep thinking "why didn't I do this years ago"..

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Coincidentally....I have started in the last few months to get this sudden burning pain at the underneath of my forefoot in between the wee toe and the toe beside.....lasts for about 10 seconds then goes.....but can appear at anytime.

I was putting it down to the sciatica I have as I feel a pain down from my bum right down to outside of my leg.

Could this be go
Goal is around another 18lbs to go. Like you, I'm anticipating taking advantage of better weather and longer days.

I'm already seeing significant benefits regarding ankle pain.

I'm buying things with 1 or 2 fewer X's.....
Don't wanna be obnoxious Steve....but are you a fat bastid ? 31lbs !!!!

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Coincidentally....I have started in the last few months to get this sudden burning pain at the underneath of my forefoot in between the wee toe and the toe beside.....lasts for about 10 seconds then goes.....but can appear at anytime.
Do your kids still play with Lego? If so - I have a theory

141 - 160 of 173 Posts