Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right - I shall start -

Just had my cholesterol checked and although it is down from it's peak at 7.3 (a record I set in my award winning 2015 season) it is still at 6.9

Anyone else want to enter the "likely-to-kark-it-pdq" stakes?

Doesn't have to be cholesterol. I would be equally impressed by low platelet counts, minuscule lung capacities or atrociously low liver performance.

·
Super Moderator
44,906 Posts
Despite turning 40 last year, I haven't had the letter I thought was supposed to arrive about a health check. So I have no stats to share with you.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're too young for this thread Bazza.

I need the wheezing wrinklies to show up on this one.

Youngsters with bad knees from too much football are not going to make the cut. I'm looking for early onset dementia and debilitating arthritis as minimum entry criteria

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
I had the first old timers mot earlier this year ...

my BP reading came in at 219/141 :eek: .... I had an ECG there and then :eek:

I'm now on a course of Atorvastatin and ramipril

My follow up appointment revealed my triglycerides level was 8. Apparently normal is about 2.

I try not to get to excited about things now :lol:

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My follow up appointment revealed my triglycerides level was 8. Apparently normal is about 2.

That's the stuff I'm after. High BP and unhealthy levels of triglycerides :party:

I'm lined up for an ECG in the next week or so. I'm hoping for an enlarged heart :titanic:

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a big heart ;)

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
@ braddersR.

Those readings are phenomenal, I was told anything over 200 systolic required hospitalisation.

Unfortunately, and I do meet Fred’s criteria, I don’t have cholesterol or blood pressure figures out of the norm.

·
Registered
44,683 Posts
Had a old geezers health check about 7 years ago, first thing they found was my cholesterol was up at 6.1. Not the worst worst score ever but a shock none-the-less. A few weeks later I rushed myself to A&E after suffering the worst pains in my chest I've ever experienced! The nurses didn't seem overly concerned and told me to sit down and wait, three hours later I went home with an appointment for a scan to confirm gallstones :disappointed: My only consolation is my blood pressure is consistently spot on, last time it was checked it was 121/65 :) Any man who is over 50 and is not on at least one daily, long term medication is suspect in my book :tut: :lol:
@Bradders how the heck are you still walking around and not strapped to a hospital bed?!? :lol:

·
Super Moderator
44,906 Posts

Was the nurse a looker?

·
Super Moderator
44,906 Posts
You're too young for this thread Bazza.

I need the wheezing wrinklies to show up on this one.

Youngsters with bad knees from too much football are not going to make the cut. I'm looking for early onset dementia and debilitating arthritis as minimum entry criteria
To be honest, I'm just looking for reassurance from you old giffers that the DRE doesn't kick in until 50...

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
@Verbout @AlfaDrivingFan ... I think the nurse thought her BP machine was foobar :lol:

I was asked if there were any heart related incidents within my family....

So later that night I got intouch with my Dad and asked. It went a bit like this...

Hi Dad, I've been to the docs and found out that my BP is really high. Has there been any one in the blood line with heart conditions?

Hi son, no, not that I can think of. (pause silence for a bit) Ohh well ... apart from me. I'm on tablets for high blood pressue!

Comdy genious he is :lol:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I signed on with a new GP recently when the old one binned me as a result of not seeing me for 15 years, I assume they thought I was dead. I needed a GP as I have to have one sign off my firearms cert. Note that the old GP had done it twice without having sight of me..... Anyway, various bits of me were gathered and analysed.

I was summoned for the results. I'm overweight. Blimey, I can see why medical school takes 7 years. I got the same verdict from the previous GP when I was training for the Etape Du Tour and cycling over 300 miles a week. Other than that, the GP was really positive: I only have a 6% chance of dying in the next 10 years, which I thought was pretty crap odds, but he thought was ace, and I don't need treating for anything. This has ****ed off Mrs rxe as she is the skinny one, but is on blood pressure pills.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
No.
The only real ailment is dodgy eyes. They've been that way for as long as I can remember.

I keep an eye on my BP as a few years back having tested here at work is was constantly high 170/90. Eventually I went to my doctor who won't use a high tech BP monitor but a stethoscope and cuff strap. He said go away you're fine. I asked how often I should check it and he said as little as possible, that'll only lead to anxiety and high BP :lol:

It was. about 4 months ago the last time I checked it 129/75 with a high tech monitor :lol:. I am hoping to steer clear of medication and be careful how often and what I eat. Lost about 10lbs since before my holidays in July. That's good for me.

I have not had my cholesterol checked for a few years and the last was 4.1.

****ed it now no doubt.

I did have a scare earlier this year. I had a very dodgy looking mole on my jawline and ended up at the dermatologist. She was convinced it was Basal Cell non Melanoma.
Surgically removed and it was a Lichenoid Keratosis. I now have a scar face for it :rambo:

I'm outta here for now!

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
This thread reminds of visiting my father-in-law and his wife.

I ask him if he’s ok, he has several illnesses, but always answers “I’m fine”

His wife on the other hand always answers in the negative and without prompting starts to list her illnesses, medications, hospital appointments and how crap the doctors and NHS have been, and unfortunately in one of her diagnosis they were.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts