Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 shakes at some speeds deppending on rev.. It doenst knock when turning full so I guess one inner is joint is getting tired (Too much bad-ass starts, lul :>)

Whats the worst/most common thing that would happended if I dont do something about it? More than give me strange massage in car.. x3 Would it eventually damage the gearbox bearings?

Im going to germany at autumn with the car and feels like this-should-be-done-quite-quick
But I keep forgetting it because I doesnt think on it all the time when I drive.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It'll break leaving you stranded at the side of the road. The remains of the shaft could flail around and damage other bits such as steering, suspension, engine and gearbox castings and brakes.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
According to the Mayans the world will end in 2012.Perhaps rockhopper is a mayan cos ive never seen a failed driveshaft take out the steering suspension engine and gearbox casings and the brakes! Look on the bright side he forgot to mention the abs and brake pad wear cables.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Well I have! Perhaps not on an Alfa but it happened to my chums Mini, took out the track rod on one side, he was lucky not to be killed! There was also a case in Northern Ireland a few years ago, again not an Alfa but a certain French type car - drive shaft broke, cut a hydraulic line which resulted in a total loss of brakes and the car running though an Army check point. The occupant were very lucky not to get shot.
I've also seen a prop shaft centre bearing fail, the remaining bits of the shaft cut the floor pan from cill to cill. There is video of it on YouTube if you are interested.
So perhaps worse case - but a broken drive shaft is not funny!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The energy of a loose driveshaft flailing around with the full momentum of the car driving it just doesn't bear thinking about. On the Mk1 Golf I owned, the n/s inner CV joint adrift at speed could take out the passenger footwell, and any feet occupying it. They had a habit of losing the bolts unless correctly torqued.

I only found this out after mine fell off, luckily at walking pace stopping for a zebra crossing in Paddington, no harm done. I was able to find 2 of the bolts in the road, screw them back in enough to drive home slowly. Garage's fault, they'd left the inner CV/flange mounting bolts loose after replacing the clutch a couple of days previously. I suspect they didn't have the correct splined tool. I never went to Parjan Autos, Park Royal, ever again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i do not think the drive shaft fails, it is either the inner or outer cv joints that let go, in the jtds there is alot of
power going to the front wheels something has to give. i learned the hard way on my jtd just after i bought it.
the drivers side outer boot was spilt and all the salt and water from the roads got in and the drive came out of the
cv joint at full lock, left with no drive. new cv joint and all is well , but now the inner boot on the passenger side has also spilt and i have a noise at speed, sounds like a wheel bearing, but i think it is the cv joint has dried up of
grease and is about to let go. will change now this week along with top and bottom arms.
i was thinking of replaceing with second hand drive,£25 with cv joints at both ends, or get new inner cv and may a better job in the end. i have spented a lot of money on this car since i got it, and i have always drove bmw,s in the past. the 156 needs plenty of looking after and i could fall out of love very quick, but every time i get back in to the driving seat i fall in love all over again. hope to sort out all the little things very soon.

G

·
0 Posts
Keeping out of this one:cheese::rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks it's safe to still driving round with suspect driveshafts and CV joints obviously haven't had to deal with the aftermath on the road networks when they do decide to go sometimes mildly and sometimes dramatically albeit a little rarer.
You see a lot working for VOSA

Rather you than me, thats all I will say.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just looked and its £45 inner and £75 outer for the bits then maybe a couple of hours to fit taking into account of the super slow speed mechanics work at lol
I have had a drveshaft go once and it dont sound good and took out the inner wing and and flattend a brake pipe and also had a propshaft go and wrap its self around the hand brake cable locking the back wheels solid!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im gonna check the joys on thursday however, I just wanted to make sure it eats up the gearbox quickly so it will completly breakdown in 1k mile xD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts