Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after getting home from work I decided to take the Alfetta Gt for a spin, beautiful day 25ºc, sunny, quiet neighborhood, great day at the office, one of those days when everything is just right.

After warming it up for a couple of minutes i took off and headed directly to the petrol station to fill her up 10 blocks away from home, checked oil, water levels, and with a full tank I continued my driving pleasure break, which obviously was interrupted in a very alfa manner: Suddenly i started smelling burnt oil, then i saw the oil pressure gauge coming down, then smoke accompanied with some rough idling and i killed the engine, it all happened in a blink.:cry:

Came to a stop surrounded by a cloud of smoke 4 blocks away from home while headed there to get my cel phone which i had forgot and was expecting a very important call (girlfriend abroad visiting sick relative). My initial thoughts on what had happened were the worst, the engine bay was bathed in oil and i was desperately looking for cracks or holes in the engine block with a heavy smoking exhaust manifold obstructing my sight:mad:. Finally I pushed her home uphill, waited it to cool down for 30 minutes or so to find out that the engine block was fine, finally some relief:rolleyes:.

Still i couldn't get the rough idle off my mind so with help from a couple of friends we took the car to a garage, cleaned the engine bay a bit, changed oil, well, changed the filter to be honest, there was barely 750ml of oil left and found that the oil filter had the smallest dent on it with a crack in the middle.

Car got sorted and came home ok after a good session of very smokey spirited driving on the motorway and of course after 3 hours of pushing, waiting, cleaning and working, my free afternoon is now gone, have a meeting in a couple of hours, took 3 showers and i can still smell burnt oil on me, 10-50 castrol to be precise.

Alfas, don't you love them?

Rant over.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Lucky escape there, Chris.

Buenos Aires eh, my do we AOers attract some exotic individuals...

You wouldn't happen to have bumped into my old girlfriend Sonia Blanc would you? She came form BA...:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts