Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help !!!

My car has developed an occasional backfire. It is definately a backfire and not a misfire.
It will happen just as the revs increase as you pull away, causing the car to lurch and jump.
The car will sometimes at idle "hunt" for a second before ticking over normally. It's almost like the engine is being switched off.
This has only happened about 5 or 6 times in the last month, but I'm worried something more serious is happening.

Any ideas ????

Marlon

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My old Uno had exactly these symptoms. Replacing the plug leads (after a whole lot of trial and error I have to say) fixed it.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't say that, I just replaced the leads a couple of months ago :(

Marlon

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the plugs? Mines started the same, you can hear it poping in the exhaust, I've replaced my leads but think it could be the plugs now. It runs a little rough low down the revs, bit jerkey.

Cheers

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car also pops in the exhaust, but both the plugs and leads have been replaced (with good quality stuff). The car popped before I changed the stuff, and it still pops :( :confused:

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Its a slightly lower tech thing to check but I had a problem that seemed to be the electrics occasionally "cutting" for a micro-second. This caused a backfire (well more of a load pop than a gunshot) and a brief lurch. I cleaned up the battery contacts and job done!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris and JB, cheers I'll check these out. Funnily enough, I just put the Original Huge battery back on the car (now I don't use the K&N kit which needs a smaller battery for space).
Haven't had the car out yet, but I thought it may be down to a lack of electrical power of some sort.
This prob only started now the weather is worse and I get stuck in jams (won't charge the battery well) and I'm using a lot of lights, heater blower, rear demister wipers etc. all the time.

I'll let you know what happens.

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Ah, you may be in luck then. I could provoke the problem by flashing main beam and so putting heavy load on the electrics.

Good luck.

BTW What do you mean "now the weather is worse". You live in Scotland don`t you? Nuff said :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well since fitting the bigger battery to my car, no backfiring has occured. I notice now that the lights don't dim and the heater blower doesn't slow down at idle when everything is on. The car seems to pull better from the lower revs........is this possible ???? :confused:

Marlon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Marlon,

Could be. A battery on it's last legs will drop in voltage the more load is put on it so once you've got everything switched on it could be causing the problems you've listed. BUT, and it's a big BUT, was it the battery that went duff or is it not being charged properly by the car? Check all the heavy connections to the alternator at both ends as well as the earth straps to the engine before suspecting the alternator itself.
Certainally if the problems return with the new battery this may be the cause.

Cheers

Hugh.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Hugh, cheers for that. I'm pretty sure the battery is getting charged, I just think the smaller battery was maybe too small for the load I was putting it under. The small battery wasn't that old and I charged it after I took it off the car (use it to jump start in emergency or put it in the wifes Fiat) and it had almost a full charge anyway.

Marlon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts