Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My backbox has starting spitting and farting. I think the rust has given way and I need a new one. I have phoned around and even the mechanics are amazed at the very dear price, but they insist it is the correct price (I'm not surprised as Alfa's are usually a bit dearer). I am getting €250 bought and fitted, for a normal mild-steel backbox. Is this good or bad. Bear in mind €250 equates to £167 when answering.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Is that a one piece from the CAT back?
If so... seems good to me... I had to get mine in Belfast as I was quoted €550 down here from Alfa. €400 up there... :rolleyes:

W

·
0 Posts
Last one I bought was a Timax mild steel for £200 fitted....full from after the cat back. If yours is the same the price seems reasonable :D

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Last one I bought was a Timax and it was a one piece from cat back and cost £120 fitted from National Tyres.

W

·
0 Posts
Any lower bids than £120 :D Good price....but £167 is a bit too much now.

wrinx

K

·
0 Posts
My Silverstone has two sections from the cat back, it went totally in a day and National did me both boxes fitted for £180 (that was with 20% discount !!).

Had never used them before and was quite pleased not to get the hard sell or the full 'inspection' that some of the others do.... :mad:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
wrinx said:
Any lower bids than £120 :D Good price....but £167 is a bit too much now.

wrinx
:D How does Yes grab yer :D

I got from the Cat back for the V6 for .....................are you ready for this

.......................Sure yer ready :p :p :D

The princely sum of £70 :D :D For a Walker Mild Steel system which has been on for 3 or 4 years now and is still in good nick he says probably allowing the Jinxer to strike again :p :rolleyes: :cheese:

M

·
0 Posts
NikH said:
My Silverstone has two sections from the cat backQUOTE]

Exhaust places quite often put a 2 section jobby on so that you can replace the centre or rear bit alone in the future. The 8v originally had a 1 piece exhaust cat back. Maybe the 16v did too.
A two piece zorst will cost a bit more. National quoted me a price for both systems and actually said the 1 piece (the cheaper) would be better as it was more like the original.

K

·
0 Posts
marlon said:
NikH said:
My Silverstone has two sections from the cat backQUOTE]

Exhaust places quite often put a 2 section jobby on so that you can replace the centre or rear bit alone in the future. The 8v originally had a 1 piece exhaust cat back. Maybe the 16v did too.
A two piece zorst will cost a bit more. National quoted me a price for both systems and actually said the 1 piece (the cheaper) would be better as it was more like the original.
Marlon

At least I know for the future..

I didn't have time to do any homework on the systems, the guys at National had never seen a 155 before so we went for a like for like from their book.

Nik

K

·
0 Posts
marlon said:
I was lucky, the guy who did my car used to own one !!!!
Must be nice to meet someone who has owned one other than on here ! Most people give me a blank look when I say I have a 155 :(

On a totally different subject, when they were fitting the system (took two of them) another guy was changing tyres on a 2 litre Clio Sport - he only jacked up the front wheel and the whole side of the car came up. Should have seen the owners face when he came back and saw his pride and joy balancing on one jacking point !

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
NikH said:
he only jacked up the front wheel and the whole side of the car came up. Should have seen the owners face when he came back and saw his pride and joy balancing on one jacking point !
My 155 does that :D makes changing wheels easier! :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
Timax 2 piece cat back, plus hardware cost me £172 part only.

By far the cheapest price I could find in Surrey.

For a 16v.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts