Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to run a leased 2.4 diesel Brera 3 or more years ago before my business crashed and it had to go. It was a great car, particularly after a Red Dot Racing remap. . Since then I've been rebuilding my business and while I can't afford to spend a fortune I have noticed that secondhand prices are very low for Brera's now and I might be able to run to a 4 or 5 year old one.

I was so impressed with the Diesel remap that I didn't think I would ever want the 2.2 petrol version (the 3.2 V6 would be just too thirsty for me). However, I have read about remapped 2.2's that seem to work wonders and might be interested if a remap or retune could give it a bit more go..

What sort of performance improvements can you achieve with similar sort of expenditure to a diesel remap?

Any other info greatly appreciated..

By the way, my picture shows my old Alfa 156 2.5 V6 which unfortunately had to go sometime back. I am currently chugging around in a Peugeot 407 for my sins and it can't go on..

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
Wait and get the 210bhp version of the 2.4 if you can't afford one right now. The turbo is a much better unit than the one in the original 200bhp version of the Brera 2.4, and there were also some lightening done to suspension components on the later models. They feel much nicer to drive as standard than the early ones.

If you can't bear to be without an Alfa much longer then get a good GT JTD.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the 210bhp version last time and remember reading it was much improved over the original 200bhp.. The GT is also something I've been considering...

·
Registered
813 Posts
I haven't driven a 210, but my 200 is great especially after the remap/dpf delete. Also the 200's will be old enough to get away with not having a dpf (if you chose to remove it). With the new MOT rules 2008 onwards must have a dpf if it had one originally.

I am slightly hypocritical as my turbo is on the way out and the garrett from the 210 will most certainly be going on!

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
New 2012 MOT rules mean that any car that comes from a factory with a DPF fitted must have one to pass the MOT, so it will apply to all Breras as they all came with a DPF.

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
Wont that only apply to 2012 onwards models?
Seems like it applies to all cars, basically if a car has something fitted to it from the factory, it must remain fitted and be working to pass the MOT under the new rules from April 2012. They are applying this to a broad range of systems on cars that weren't previously tested, such as: engine management light, traction control light, airbag warning light, tyre pressure monitoring systems, headlamp wash systems, emission control systems including dpfs etc.

They can't test for function of a DPF on an MOT test but they can check to see if it is present, so I think people with DPFs removed and straight pipes fitted may need to re-fit there old DPFs with the internals bashed out to get through the MOT.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Seems like it applies to all cars, basically if a car has something fitted to it from the factory, it must remain fitted and be working to pass the MOT under the new rules from April 2012. They are applying this to a broad range of systems on cars that weren't previously tested, such as: engine management light, traction control light, airbag warning light, tyre pressure monitoring systems, headlamp wash systems, emission control systems including dpfs etc.

They can't test for function of a DPF on an MOT test but they can check to see if it is present, so I think people with DPFs removed and straight pipes fitted may need to re-fit there old DPFs with the internals bashed out to get through the MOT.
I thought checks will only consist of the smoke test for compression ignition vehicles. Cat check is petrol only???

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
I thought checks will only consist of the smoke test for compression ignition vehicles. Cat check is petrol only???
That is the case currently for diesels. Smoke check only. I think that will continue to be the case for the time being, but an additional (visual) check will be to ensure all emissions equiptment the car left the factory with is still in place.

This is the new rules, which come into force soon:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:173:0047:0072:EN:PDF

Page 22 of 26 - emissions for diesel engines

8.2.2.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
Visual inspection
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer absent or obviously defective (b) Leaks which would affect emission measurements

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
That is the case currently for diesels. Smoke check only. I think that will continue to be the case for the time being, but an additional (visual) check will be to ensure all emissions equiptment the car left the factory with is still in place.

This is the new rules, which come into force soon:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:173:0047:0072:EN:PDF

Page 22 of 26 - emissions for diesel engines
The link doesnt work for me :confused:

The dot mot inspection manual only makes reference to check for a cat not dpf. This will in my view be open to interpretation and will mean dpf removal could still pass the mot as alfa diesels have a seperate cat.

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
The link doesnt work for me :confused:
Try clicking it instead of copy/pasting it into the browser address bar, its been truncated in the above post but the hyperlink is working fine.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Im viewing on a phone so that could be why i cant view the link. Ive checked the mot doc and that only specifies cat check with no mention of dpf

·
Vendor
45,804 Posts
Ah, its a PDF link thats why it won't be working for you.

The text is always open to interpretation by the tester (;)) but I can't see how having the DPF removed and a shiny stainless steel pipe in its placed will not fall foul of "Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer absent or obviously defective"..

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with 159_kid. The actual MOT manual which is available online here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

Here itr clearly states on Page 157 Item 7 only Cat not DPF. The only problem I see is people reading into it the same as the link to another review of the new rules that everything original must be fitted or people not understanding the difference between a Cat (Something that actually carries out a chemical reaction to change the gasses coming out the back) and a DPF which just collects particles.

As someone that probably won't be removing the DPF anyway not a problem but they are getting tighter.

Also obviously anyone that removes a DPF will be informing the DVLA and paying the extra Road Tax anyway!!!:cheese:

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I agree with 159_kid. The actual MOT manual which is available online here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

Here itr clearly states on Page 157 Item 7 only Cat not DPF. The only problem I see is people reading into it the same as the link to another review of the new rules that everything original must be fitted or people not understanding the difference between a Cat (Something that actually carries out a chemical reaction to change the gasses coming out the back) and a DPF which just collects particles.

As someone that probably won't be removing the DPF anyway not a problem but they are getting tighter.

Also obviously anyone that removes a DPF will be informing the DVLA and paying the extra Road Tax anyway!!!:cheese:
extra road tax? DPF's only remove soot particles not CO2 or is this another european directive :rant:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi 159_kid

Unfortunately you are right to a point.

Where the Road Tax is based on CO2 can you please confirm that Removing part of the exhaust system the DPF, Possibly altering another part the EGR valve and also altering the engine map to suit isn't going to effect the CO2 by one Gram? Also that the DVLA would believe you if you tried to make that statement.

You are then left with passing the oficial Test at £????? to get a valid CO2 figure or I presume the DVLA will just group you in the highest band to be on the safe side!

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
currently co2 emissions are measured and set at model launch so we are OK for now so if removing dpf / egr does alter co2.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts