Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Alfa Romeo 33 QV S2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it's been quite a while since I've been on the forum...

I'm moving into my 12th year of owning my little 33. We've had our up's and down's, and as with a lot of projects, sometimes life and all it has to throw at you keeps insisting on getting in the way.

The day I went to see the little 33 and test drove her I fell in love and she became a big part of my life. I took her to shows and spent every spare minute fettling and improving her. Then somewhere along the way life caught up and she had to take a back seat for a while. In 2013 I set about getting her back up and running, I cleaned her up, got her MOT'd and started using her again. Then one day she overheated, and with the nature of it, I suspected one of the head gaskets had went. I tucked her back into the lockup with the intention of putting her right... But she sat forlorn in my lockup for nearly 6 (God has it been that long!?) years. The lockup started to let in water sometime last year, and on a chance visit a few months ago, I could see the damp had taken it's toll.

I moved house last year and now I have a garage here at home. We had some things to do to the house, and I wanted to get the garage in shape because I know I just had to get my little Alfa up so I could start the long process of returning her to her former glory. So, last week...

I dug her out, with the help of Fiat space savers :p and then;

I hooked her up to my A-Frame, and, with the help of my dad, we began the 7 mile journey to her new home.

Getting her into the driveway and lined up the garage was a good feeling. After a quick wash, she was in safe,

Then some poking around,

As you can see, the dampness done a bit of a number on the shiny bits... The carbs were off the car and stored in a box. I don't have a photo of them, but they're pretty goosed. Luckily, I had another set of 40's in a sealed box that, with a little love, will easily go back into service. I'll repair the dampened ones over the course of time.

Now this is where she is sat after a days work investigating...

I've taken the decision to remove the engine and box. I figured if one of the head gaskets has gone right enough, then it needs to come out anyway. But I can do a much better job of cleaning, repairing, painting and replacing things if they're out the car. The heart is ready to remove, just waiting on an engine stand coming and I'll whip em out.

I'll be replacing bits as I go, obviously all the ignition stuff, coolant hoses and clamps etc. She need a new radiator, possibly a new starter, the clutch was starting to slip last time out, new water pump, belts, tensioners... all that jazz.

But I have a bit of technical question. I actually have a gearbox from a 145, the original box that's in her has the usual crunchy second. I've heard the 145 box is stronger, but... is it a straight swap without much modification? Same clutch etc? I'll know better once I have them sat side by side, but a little knowledge from your wise selves goes a long way! Luckily, I also have an engine and gearbox machine shop just around the corner from me, and I'll enlist their help when needs be.

I really am determined this time to do it right, I have the equipment, the space and now more resources than before to actually see it through. It's not going to be quick, but I hope it's going to be good, She deserves it. I'll be keeping you all posted as much as possible and mining the resources of the forum for sure.

Wish me luck!

Scott.

·
Registered
1990 Alfa Romeo 33 QV S2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spent another couple of hours in the garage today. Got the engine and gearbox removed, just one bolt on the anti-roll bar end bush bracket snapping... so not too bad considering! For an 80's Alfa, it is really just some surface rust and the damage from the damp which is present, so another lucky break for me!

Just need to dig out my engine stand and split the gearbox and engine so it can go on... point to note though, there's only 3 bolts through the bellhousing... one was missing! ?

Also got some of this;

For use in this;

Doing a little test of different things over the next few days. Using the Evapo-rust in the cleaner is meant to be pretty effective, and boy do I have some rust studs and brackets to clean up! I'll report back with my findings shorty.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi,

What a journey :)
The 145/146 box is unfortunately not drop-in compatible because the
gearbox casing is slightly different (won't fit in the bell housing of the 33 chassis)
and the shift linkage is different also.
Plus the final drive is also shorter in the 145/146 box, which is good for the acceleration,
the downside is the higher engine noise and fuel consumption on the long run.

It is possible to cut the gearbox casing in order to fit, but the rear end of the
gearbox (with the linkage) is need to be swapped over from the 33.

Clutch and starter mounting / sizes are the same,.

·
Registered
1990 Alfa Romeo 33 QV S2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

What a journey :)
The 145/146 box is unfortunately not drop-in compatible because the
gearbox casing is slightly different (won't fit in the bell housing of the 33 chassis)
and the shift linkage is different also.
Plus the final drive is also shorter in the 145/146 box, which is good for the acceleration,
the downside is the higher engine noise and fuel consumption on the long run.

It is possible to cut the gearbox casing in order to fit, but the rear end of the
gearbox (with the linkage) is need to be swapped over from the 33.

Clutch and starter mounting / sizes are the same,.
Than you for the helpful information!

I need to get the 145 gearbox out of storage and sat beside the 33 one to really see... I don't mind the cutting the 145 box to fit and as for the linkage, is this a straight forward enough swap? Are they a straight swap, for example? I do actually still have access to the gearstick and cables from the 145 donor... perhaps it may be easier to swap this part over?

Thanks again for your knowledge and expertise!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi,

As far as I can tell the rear linkage joint can be done between the 145/146 and the 33 gearbox,
so the original 33 selector linkage can be kept. I know about two successful swap over of this kind,
but unfortunately I'm not aware all of the exact details of the "operation". I saw the bottom plate
and rear end of the box was removed during this, because it may require to swap over
one of the selector rods (which is sticks out at the end).

Regarding how straightforward it is: well it depends on the level of experience :)
I think I wouldn't do it by myself... but that's me :)

Long time ago I went on the hard way: putting the stronger 1st and 2nd synchro hubs and gears
from a 145/146 gearbox into my 33's gearbox to get rid of the crunchy 2nd, plus I wanted
to keep the original (longer) final drive ratio also. During that the box was gutted out fully.
This was done by a workshop.

Regarding putting in 145/146 gearstick + cables into the 33: I haven't seen an example for that.
But of course this could be a working approach as well.

·
Registered
1990 Alfa Romeo 33 QV S2
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long time ago I went on the hard way: putting the stronger 1st and 2nd synchro hubs and gears
from a 145/146 gearbox into my 33's gearbox to get rid of the crunchy 2nd, plus I wanted
to keep the original (longer) final drive ratio also. During that the box was gutted out fully.
This was done by a workshop.
Thanks again for the great information! The idea of sticking the stronger 1st and 2nd from the 145 so as to keep the final drive and the casing the same does sound appealing. I think what I'll do is take both gearboxes to my local workshop and discuss these ideas with them and see if we can't "Frankenstein" a gearbox out of the two that I have!

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts