Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pick up my rental car at a Seattle airport this afternoon, having booked full-size, Ford Fusion or similar. There, in all its glory, was a. . . Toyota Camry!

So, a quick word with the nice Avis Preferred man along the lines of "I don't want a Toyota, haven't you got something more American?" saw us driving away in a Dodge Charger. That's more like it! Now, of course, this is only an SXT which, despite its impressive array of letters, is the base model with a mere 3.6 liter V6, so I'll have to get by with a mere 292 BHP!

The next three weeks will be fun!

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here it is - a quick crappy phone photo. I don't normally like black cars, but Chargers just have to be black.

Note the reg; my wife usually has to put a lot of effort into naming our cars. This one was easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it drive?
So far we've only done city & highway driving, but I know from previous experience that they can be enjoyable, in a big car sort of way, when the going gets twisty. The previous Charger we've had was a 2009, which had a four-speed transmission - this one has an eight-speed, which makes a big difference. The best auto I've ever driven; in normal driving you don't feel the changes & it doesn't need much provocation to change down several gears, & in a car geared to do 70mph at 1,500rpm in 8th you do need to change down frequently to "make progress".

You've called it Dover?
She's not that witty or inventive!

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, three weeks & 2,000-plus miles later, I sadly said goodbye to it last Thursday.

The more I drove it the more impressed I was with the auto box. With eight to choose from there's a gear for every occasion & the box is very responsive, as is the engine, which meant that I never felt that it was in the wrong gear - no need to go into manual. The eight-speed box allows for very high gearing to aid economy without sacrificing performance - 31.75 mpg overall (proper gallons, not puny little American ones!) in a car weighing the best part of two tons driven with my usual disregard for economy ain't bad. It is, incidentally, the same ZF box as used in the Giulia.

Edmunds.com summed the Charger up beautifully: "The 2018 Dodge Charger is a loud, "heck yeah!" salute to choice. You don't have to get the most state-of-the-art, most fuel-efficient, most refined or most boring silver car available. For that, you can turn to better options from Buick, Kia or Toyota. Instead, you can get an unapologetic American performance sedan with massive power, brash style and abundant ways to customize. " My kind of car!

Now for the good news: to the rental companies the Charger is just an ordinary full-size car - "Ford Fusion (=Mondeo) or similar.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts