Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok just got the 33 checked out have a few small problems coolent hose has small leak timing belt needs doing only problem is my mech wont work on an alfa:cry: so spent this arfternoon finding a good mech think i have one gunna go check out the work shop this week

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It really bugs me when i hear of garages not working on these engines.

They are so simple and basic there's no reason they cant be worked on by anyone. Hope youe get it sorted but if all else fails could you give it a go yourself?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure as the engines i have done some work on hasnt been the hard stuff the radiators easy but the timing belt i dont have the tools or the knowledge to work on that and trust i did a good job neva worked on such a small engin im used to holden 202's

·
Registered
610 Posts
ok just got the 33 checked out have a few small problems coolent hose has small leak timing belt needs doing only problem is my mech wont work on an alfa:cry: so spent this arfternoon finding a good mech think i have one gunna go check out the work shop this week
Where are you in Australia ??
Somebody should be able to help with a good mechanic.

Replacing the coolant hose on an boxer is exactly the same as a 186 or 202.. it's a just hose.

Replacing the (cam) timing belts (there are two) is also a piece of **** (line up the timing marks on the cam with the marks in the head and lock them with a screwdriver or whatever, replace belts, tighten up the tensioners) - hardest part is getting the plastic covers off (if you have them). There is no need for any special tools (there is a tool to lock the cams - just make something up). Whip out the radiator to give yourself some elbow room.

Any competent (idyiot) mechanic should be able to do this - if your in the middle of knowhere then find a Subie dealer, the shape of the donk won't scare them.

... you might also want to consider throwing in a new water pump while you have the cambelts off, although that IS a pain the a rse

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
give it ago man,if i can do it successfully,any shaved monkey can,thats the benefits of having a classic car you can do the work ya sen, and don't need a computer to fix things. { wasn' refering to you about the shaved monkey bit:) }

K

·
0 Posts
true enough, if a haynes manual can be followed then the cam-belt isn't that bad a job for the semi confident amatuer :cool:
and at least you can take the radiator out to fix the leak and gain good access to the belts, and save a gargae bil in the process :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im in Adelaide and im not sure of what engin is in it if a take a photo are and post it can someone identify it for me

·
Registered
610 Posts
This is a brilliant forum/resource, start here. There are a lot of Aussie users on this site, especially Adelaide which has a high turn out for some reason (I know it's the hills and the wog population :)). It's a great resource, although I don't use it so much as I used too as they have a speed/page reload issue they're ignoring for anybody outside the US and all the ads are just gash. Besides i love this site now and wouldn't want to promote another - so mods, please leave the links :)

There is very cool Hungarian sprint fella who has all the manuals available in PDF too.. i'll have a hunt around for it.
<edit> indeed, I can't find it, but here's another one Alfa33 Workshop Manual from this website

re what type of engine it is.. easy;
1. what year is it
2. does it have a dizzy, if so does it have single or twin carbs
3. if not, does it have two or four cams

I put my money on it being a twin carb 1.5/1.7

·
Registered
62 Posts
If that is your site "Face" then many, many thanks for your excellent work. It has been extremely helpful to me and several others here in New Zealand. Much appreciated
Cheers David F

1 - 12 of 12 Posts