Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I have just spent 10 days visiting my parents near Anglouleme near the middle of France. We took the GT on the 1500 mile round trip, and it didn't miss a beat!

Slightly cosy for my 2 kids (aged 7 and 5) in the back for such a long trip, but the car really behaved itself, and the boot was just big enough for our luggage.

The car averaged an amazing 34.4 mpg (according to the computer) over the whole trip. I did take it easy coming up the A28 past Le Mans yesterday though. And I put 98 octane petrol in which did seem to improve fuel economy.

Major problems with the ferries last night - all were cancelled because of gales so we ended up forking out £155 to get the GT and us through the Channel Tunnel (a first for me, and it was very impressive, if costly).

Alas I only saw 1 other GT in France during the whole 10 days, and that was another British one in Boulogne on arrival.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Your experiences mirror our (minus the kids & plus a 3.2V6 @ 29mpg).

The lazy, workshy, garlic eating surrender monkies were on strike for us to so we had to swap to the ET @ +£145:mad:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a 3.2V6 @ 29mpg).
29mpg from a 3.2 V6 is impressive (maybe I should have got one after all...). Makes my 34mpg seem quite mediocre, except it's the highest I've ever had it in the last 14 months of ownership, and it was at its heaviest with 4 passengers and lots of luggage.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
We did a similar run earlier this year - the garlic eating sheep burners were on strike and blockading ports but in true British spirit we managed to battle on and land at Dunkirk. Surprisingly the kids (2 & 6) were quite happy in the back. Sadly we did break down (EGR failure on the Millaue viaduct) but we were quickly on our way. Managed to average 52 mpg, which was better than expected although I am advised French diesel is slightly different to UK diesel (high sulphur content) which could explain it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly we did break down .... on the Millaue viaduct
Is that the really, really, really high bridge down near Provence? If so, what a spectacular place to break down. One would almost think you broke down there on purpose.

And 52mpg? Okay, stop showing off now.

G

·
although I am advised French diesel is slightly different to UK diesel (high sulphur content) which could explain it.
Probably because continental fuels are of better quality than
the low grade stuff they use in the UK these days. :p

e.g.: Total Excellium is 98 in France compared to 97 in the UK.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
We wre fully laden as we'd been to the Mille Miglia and had 12 nights worth of kit and bit we'd bought along the way. The only thing that caused me any bother was the was the suspension reacts to those crappy expansion joints on the Italia Autostrada's:eek: BANG :(

Planning a trip next year with GTleigh and his clan. Como, via Millau, Antibes, Monaco, Mento etc. and then home via Stelvio and other passes and possible the 'ring:cool:

Not sure which car to take though:confused:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Is that the really, really, really high bridge down near Provence? If so, what a spectacular place to break down. One would almost think you broke down there on purpose.
It is that really high bridge but sadly it was a toll and the local Alfa dealer would not come out and collect us due to the expense. The RAC organised a taxi & hotel whilst the local Renault tractor dealer (top bloke) took it to Millau Alfa and thankfully they had an EGR in stock and fixed it there and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts