Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
No but you are forgetting, autocar says it handles brilliantly so that video must be wrong!;)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Porsche say it's due to the Macan's "Active Rollover Prevention" system activating.

Since, by definition, that ARP system shouldn't fire unless the vehicle is in imminent danger of toppling, it's hardly a clean bill of health for the Macan.

Of course Autocar say it handles brilliantly, because that's what the skeleton review file that they got from Porsche said...

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
20,263 Posts
Of course Autocar say it handles brilliantly, because that's what the skeleton review file that they got from Porsche said...
Maybe, in day-to-day non-emergency lane switches, it does handle brilliantly.

Skeleton review file? :rolleyes:

Looking at that video, if anyone saw it without prior comment, would anyone see anything that would alarm them about the Macan's performance in an emergency? I thought we were about to see another roll-over. Instead we saw a front wheel lock for a second, some smoke, and a car complete the test. If there is a problem with the Macan (and maybe there is), I'd like to understand more about what this problem is, and what its repercussions could be in an emergency.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
If you don't think VW's advertising spend has any effect on reviewers, then I've some apartments in Bulgaria I think you might like...

I read German too, and the sad thing is that not even their own press is as sycophantic to the German car industry as the British are.

Elk test is a pretty well known evasion test.. This site has stirred up trouble before by performing some extreme tests, and they rolled a Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of years ago, which even if it was overladen, it should not have happened.

Porsche sell the Macan as a performance vehicle. Stable handling in extremis should be part of that. Especially at the price premium over its Audi sibling. This test, which is not done at high speed, shows the last-resort anti-topple system kicking in on a flat road with minimal provocation. It shouldn't happen; cheaper vehicles pass the test just fine.

We were about to see another rollover, it's only an electronic rescue system that stopped it.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
20,263 Posts
If you don't think VW's advertising spend has any effect on reviewers, then I've some apartments in Bulgaria I think you might like...

I read German too, and the sad thing is that not even their own press is as sycophantic to the German car industry as the British are.

Elk test is a pretty well known evasion test.. This site has stirred up trouble before by performing some extreme tests, and they rolled a Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of years ago, which even if it was overladen, it should not have happened.

Porsche sell the Macan as a performance vehicle. Stable handling in extremis should be part of that. Especially at the price premium over its Audi sibling. This test, which is not done at high speed, shows the last-resort anti-topple system kicking in on a flat road with minimal provocation. It shouldn't happen; cheaper vehicles pass the test just fine.

We were about to see another rollover, it's only an electronic rescue system that stopped it.
all fair points, Kris.

Could it be the case that the point at which the anti-topple system kicks in, needs recalibrating?

Beyond that, do you think that there is something fundamentally dangerous/wrong about the way the Macan handles, and, if so, what do you think those problems are?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I think there was something fundamentally wrong with how it handled in this test. The action of the anti topple is severe, and could provoke overcorrection from the driver.

I'm curious to see if the donor Audi Q5 performs the same. I suspect not, and that this result is due to Porsche asking far too much from an ordinary road car architecture.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Surely there comes a point where physics becomes the limiting factor. If you have a car with a high centre of gravity and push it to the extremes, the clever electrics will maximise the speeds you can do this......up to a point. It looks at this point for this car the limit was reached so the electrics stepped in to stop it rolling. The result is what you see.

·
Registered
17,950 Posts
Were they done at the same speed? The Porsche looks like the electronics threw a paddy despite the chassis most likely having it covered.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
As a Canadian, I have to say I'm sorely disappointed by the lack of actual moose. As far as I'm concerned, you can't call something a moose test unless you're involving a large ungulate sporting massive antlers.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
20,263 Posts
The moose test is unfair. Until a running moose’s ability to swerve a car without tripping up is tested, I don’t think cars should be subjected to this test. I will pen a letter to ENCAP now to express this concern and call for all moose to get an ENCAP swerve test rating. :)

(What’s the plural of moose? It it meece? :) )

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Were they done at the same speed? The Porsche looks like the electronics threw a paddy despite the chassis most likely having it covered.
That KM77 channel features a lot of cars, some of quick like the Macan seem to get screwed over by the driver aids.

Still not as funny as the Juke tho
Nissan have however corrected that in their newer model...

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
20,263 Posts
Translated from Spanish, he said: ‘ha ha ha ha ha ha!’

Anyway, it was clearly driver error. The mistake he made was swerving ;-)

·
Registered
17,950 Posts
Youtube is full of moose test fails that make the Porsche one look really tame. Best advice if you're in a big 4x4 pick up would be just hit the moose because if you swerve there's no knowing where you'll end up, you'll probably take out the moose anyway, along with Benny and Bjorn who are coming the other way.

If you're in an old A-Class, just don't go around corners. Ever.

·
Registered
40,594 Posts
But big SUV's are safer than normal cars...

For me in highlights the inherent flaws in having a car with a higher centre of gravity. Well done to Alfa for making it work though, but it does make you wonder what they did to make it pass. Less sticky tyres maybe?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The Giulia performs beautifully in the moose test too.

Maybe Alfa actually test their vehicles robustly? Some of those failures suggest the cars are under developed, like you'd hope the handling on that older Juke wouldn't make it to production. The newer Juke's handling of the same test suggests it is entirely possible.

Youtube is full of moose test fails that make the Porsche one look really tame. Best advice if you're in a big 4x4 pick up would be just hit the moose because if you swerve there's no knowing where you'll end up, you'll probably take out the moose anyway, along with Benny and Bjorn who are coming the other way.

If you're in an old A-Class, just don't go around corners. Ever.
That's the thing, there's sometimes an argument for a collision over a sudden swerve. I've seen crash tests of cars that take corner collisions and they often do far worse than a good solid head on wallop.

There's deer around where I work and people often take them out, big dual carriageway so there is a bit of speed involved. Then again if one were to brake suddenly then the car would dip and you'd be at risk of launching the animal upwards potentially into the windscreen...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts