Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a "discussion" over lunch.

So when was the baby Jesus supposedly born?

24/12, 25/12 or another day in the year.

Which year?

Isn't Christmas kinda like the Queens Official birthday?

Links to evidence appreciated.

;)

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
In September/October, around 4BC.

Proof: By December, the sheep would all have been indoors.
December was "chosen" as it ties in nicely with other festivals that were being celebrated by other religions/cultures around 300AD

Links to evidence appreciated.
Link

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Why not start with, "Was there actually a baby Jesus?"

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did VD.

(Also my, "Christianity is just a Jewish heresy" quip went down like a lead balloon. :eek:)

But that's not the name-of-the-game today.

;)

Thanks WTFH. :)

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
That's very true. I don't believe in it myself, but I didn't put that because I know there are people on here who might have been offended, and contrary to popular belief, that's not actually my aim :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I always wondered how the church explained the date remaining the same when they switched from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. Don't the Ethiopians celebrate it in April or something?

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
May I just say other faiths are available and the value of your faith can go down as well as up depending on world events :D
Reminds me of when I used to be in life insurance, a saying we had back then, which seems very relevent today;

"Remember the value of your investments can fall as well as plummet"

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I should have added in my reply, Nev, that there are some devout Christians who believe that 25/12 is the actual date of birth, and anyone who says otherwise is committing heresy.
There are some who go further than that when arguing against human-influenced climate change. They say Jesus was born on 25/12, and that the temperatures back then were far higher than now which is why the sheep were still out in the fields.

The second link I provided would show that the sheep aren't the only clue to the date, thus proving them wrong.

·
Registered
37,778 Posts
Well I suppose if they didn't know the actual date, then I suppose it makes sense to have it at the same time as Christmas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts