Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are b4s an improvement on the stock shocks or do I need b8s with my eibach lowering springs...had heard b4s were better and less crashy than originals
thanks

·
Registered
40,054 Posts
I have B4's with Eibach pro kit springs and I find it really good.

Comfort is much better than standard, handling is better (but not by a huge amount) and the cars sits much better in relation to the road.

I would imagine that an Eibach/B8 combo would be a bit stiffer, and you would loose some comfort but gain some handling.

The original shocks can barely cope with the standard springs let alone lowering ones.

·
Registered
39,606 Posts
They certainly don't seem to last well as they go past the mileage yours had done when you bought your Giulietta?
Mind has done 55000 miles since I bought it in 2011 and i reckon they're due for replacement soon but I wouldn't notice the gradual degradation since 15 miles. How long should they last , I wonder?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi symon,

do you find the b4s don't crash down over bumps like originals then...only alfisti sale rep was trying to advise me to go for b6 said no improvement on b4..
thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have B4's with Eibach pro kit springs and I find it really good.

Comfort is much better than standard, handling is better (but not by a huge amount) and the cars sits much better in relation to the road.

I would imagine that an Eibach/B8 combo would be a bit stiffer, and you would loose some comfort but gain some handling.

The original shocks can barely cope with the standard springs let alone lowering ones.
do you find they don't crash down over bumps like the original shocks then symon...only guy at alfisti was trying to say they are no better than originals and to get the b6s but they are alot of money...if you think the b4 /eibach is a good balance then that will save me alot of cash...how long have you had them on now and are they holding up
thanks

·
Registered
40,054 Posts
They did crash a bit with the standard springs, but with the Eibachs the crashing has gone.

I cannot compare them to new original dampers, but compared to 60,000 mile old originals there was a massive difference in damping ability.

I have had them fitted to the car since the beginning of October.

The standard springs have much thinner wire than the Eibachs, however the standard springs extend massively when taken from the strut suggesting to me that they are setup with lots of pre-load on them, which somehow means the ride is worse than on the Eibachs.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are the standard springs set for a linear compression rate and a higher ride height to the Eibach's?
But the Eibachi's are lowered (about 30mm!) and set for progressive rate compression?

The B4's are for standard ride height springs normally.

Whereas the B6's being more damped than B4's can be used on lowering springs or (not sure here) the standard springs too.

B8's being more damped again are only for lowered springs.

I have the B12 kit on my other car (156 2.4JTD) and the B6's with HR springs is a big improvement on the to soft space hopper bouncy Turismo standard set-up.

My Cloverleaf will get its KW V2's on when the weather warms up again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am contemplating on the B4 / Eibach pro kit combo too, but I think maybe 1-1.5 cm lowering would more like the height i am looking for, but can't find anywhere used QV springs so far. (Is QV using the same shocks as standard Giuliettas?) and as i am actually ignorant on this field i'd like to ask if is there a safe way to control the lowering of the Eibachs to about 1.5 cm max instead of its original 3.5 / 2.5 cm?

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
40,054 Posts
I think the QV comes with different shocks to the other models as standard.

However if you buy Bilstein B4, they are the same for all models.

If that makes sense?

So the B4 shocks will work with both normal springs, as well as QV ones.

Genuine QV springs might be difficult to find, but you can certainly get aftermarket ones. How close to the originals they are I wouldn't know as I haven't used them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I see :)

Is there a safe way to not let Eibachs lower the car to their advertised 3.5 / 2.5 cm lowering but to something less like around 1.5 cm ? (eg smth like spacers for springs?)

·
Registered
40,054 Posts
I dont think so :(

The only Issue I have being fully lowered is that the rear part of the undertray touches down sometimes. But you could replace it with a flat sheet of aluminium. It isn't a complicated shape.

·
Registered
39,606 Posts
Ive got a pair of front B4 shocks I bought when i had my previous Giulietta but never had them fitted. I will be selling them as I've got the new Speciale now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts