Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any good results please:)

Looking to drop my 147jtd to inprove handling.

Now have the cash to upgrade shocks and springs but not sure what to get moth my dosh for best results

Please advise

many thanks:thumbs:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Bilstein or Koni, personally I'd go with the Koni shocks and Eibach Pro springs, the Billys just seem to be a bit to firm on the compression and too slow on the rebound (over damped) for my liking where as the other combo I mention has always shone through on all the 156s and 147s I've fitted it too.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Bilstein or Koni, personally I'd go with the Koni shocks and Eibach Pro springs, the Billys just seem to be a bit to firm on the compression and too slow on the rebound for my liking where as the other combo I mention has always shone through on all the 156s and 147s I've fitted it too.

+1 to that ...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I thought (heard) that you could use the GTA variant (which is cheaper) on a standard 156 as the only difference is a slight difference in the rear damper characteristics ...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many Thanks:)

I think i was going for the FSD dampers but its sure would be an expensive mistake to get it Wrong.

Thanks again

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i have used KONI Sport and Bilstein B6. i still favour KONI Sport, and recommend them. i like having the option to adjust the rebound firmness.

people say FSD are good, but i don't think they're good value compared with the Sport model.

Bilstein B6 are a bit too firm for my liking (or at least, on my 155), and not adjustable.

note that the 'B12' is a bilstein 'spring + damper' kit, and uses B6 or B8 dampers depending upon the springs. B8 dampers are a shorter stroke, suitable for really low springs that drop the car more than 40mm. for Eibach Pro Kit springs, B6 is suitable. (use B8 for Eibach Sportline springs; these springs are super low, like 50mm drop; unsure if Sportline available for the 147.)

:)

·
Registered
306 Posts

Cheaper at Larkspeed (NB. I have no connection with Larkspeed just trying to get the best price)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Cheaper at Larkspeed (NB. I have no connection with Larkspeed just trying to get the best price)
I used to think that, but you get Larkspeed to quote prices WITH VAT and you'll see who's right. My Venom prices are Inclusive of VAT and delivery, Larkspeed wanted another £200 for the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used to think that, but you get Larkspeed to quote prices WITH VAT and you'll see who's right. My Venom prices are Inclusive of VAT and delivery, Larkspeed wanted another £200 for the same.
All prices include VAT on their website (so it says) & the FSD's are £496 inc VAT, the Pro springs same as Venom

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have just replaced all dampers and rear springs only on my 2002 Sportwagon with 105k on the clock.

I used Koni FSDs and standard springs (backs replaced 'cos the originals were self leveling) I did not want a hard ride so kept to the standard springs.

Result - marvelous :) :)

Ride is smooth and supple, especially over sleeping policemen where the original ride was a quite hard bump, it now just smoothly slides over. And on the lanes the ride is again smooth and controlled.

I have no idea about the Bilsteins but these Koni's are brill.

Jerry

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used Koni FSDs and standard springs (backs replaced 'cos the originals were self leveling) I did not want a hard ride so kept to the standard springs.

Result - marvelous :) :)

Ride is smooth and supple, especially over sleeping policemen where the original ride was a quite hard bump, it now just smoothly slides over. And on the lanes the ride is again smooth and controlled.

Jerry
That's good to know as I will eventually replace my std dampers with FSD's but wish to keep my Veloce sports springs as it's low enough for me.

I used to have a 3 series coupe with FSD's & Eibach's which was great but it grounded on most speed bumps & I wanted to avoid that on the 156

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks again:)

Looked on the Larkspeed site total cost £622.95 for springs and dampers and because i live in leeds it will just take 20 mins to collect.

Once done I hope i get the desired effect I am looking for amd hope to give the advice you have given me.

Cheers:p

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
The original dampers on the sportpack cars are Bilstein's ... probably equivalent of B6's ... with Eibach springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts