Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Sorry for repeating old thread. Have searched and found loads of info but not a consensus of opinion.
How do I jack the car using trolley jack and then transfer to Axle stands. Advise seems to be to put the stands under the main jacking points but how do I get the jack out and the stands in? Or do the axle stands go elsewhere?
Cant lift the car high enough on the scissor jack on the sill to fit the axle stands underneath.

Cheers

ps - only trying to lift the front.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What I have are some pieces of oak with channels routered in to fit over the sills. The trolley then goes slightly behind the proper sill jacking point leaving room to put the axle stand at the proper point, both with the oak to protect the sill. This is surprisingly stable, especially as the axle stand makes an indentation in the oak. I would rather do this than use the main jacking points, which don't seem to be very secure. If I do use the main jacking points I put some tough rubber between the stand and the jack point, to at least provide a little grip. The only problem i have is getting the jack under, I have to drive onto a piece of wood to get enough clearance.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hhmm, well I've never done this, but I thought it was a case of jacking the car up, taking the wheel off, and then putting the axel stand in place? Am I missing something :confused:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Can't remember if the clearance is there on the GTV think it is though :) But trolley jack under the subframe and rest the car on the axle stands using the mounts the car sits on as it goes though the production line, square stick out bits with a hole cut in the bottom just in and forward of the jacking points. I've done that with 155s, 156s, GTVs, 145s and never had a problem :)

That's only my opinion, no doubt someone'll say i'm doing it wrong ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
get some pieces of rubber , stick the axle stands under major suspension mounting points, they are the strongest areas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put the stands under the front sub frame, thereby allowing you to jack using the normal scissor jack under the sills or a trolley jack under the jacking points.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers all

Couple of options there that I will try.
By "major suspension mounting points" I assume either end of the front wishbone?
Haven't looked close enough to see if the "front sub frame" is an obvious location. Anyone got any pics they could share? If not I may do a How to.. guide when I get round to doing it and post it up.

·
Registered
953 Posts
To save starting a new thread, thought I'd post here:

I need to jack up the rear of my GTV and put it on axle stands, where are the best places to do this at the rear?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I normally use the post lifting points on the trolly jack and then use the sill points with a piece of wood which has a channel cut in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts