Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I topped the oil up during the week as it was quite low. it uses quite a lot of oil, but this time there was nothing in it. bemused, I opened the coolant expansion tank to check and it's thick, gloopy and just light brown coolant/oil mixture.

my initial reaction is that it's knackered, but I'm wondering if rather than a cracked head or something, it could maybe be either head gasket, or even simpler, like an oil cooler gasket or so?

edit: it's a 2.0 twinnie

I had similar problem on an old Audi 80 that cost me £7 for an oil cooler gasket which resolved the problem.

it had its head gasket done 20k ago. same time as timing belt and vatiator.

any suggestions please? I really can't afford it to be death to the car- started new job and no wages through yet, and I need car for the job.

your thoughts please? :cry:

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
If you checked oil on a hot engine? .....you will not get a reading. As for expansion tank and coolant ........it doesn't sound good IMO.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
If you put a lead down tester on it you would be able to eradicate loads of potential issues. Perhaps the head was done 20k ago because it had overheated and warped at some point - and now it has come back again.

Do you notice much of a drop in performance? Is the exhaust smokey, are there bubbles in the header tank when the engine is warming up to temperature with the cap off. Shouldn't really get thick gloopy oil in the expansion tank so my first guess would be head gasket.

I am curious how the oil cooler gasket on the Audi resolved a similar problem. That sounds interesting......

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EauRouge- no. I know hot to check oil, but cheers.

edward- the exhaust is a bit smokey until it's up to temp. then it's fine.

here's a pic of the Audi oil cooler- oil passes through it on way to filter, and it has inlet and outlet for coolant. so coolant cools the oil, the gasket had gone and do gave exactly the same symptoms as an HG failure but was much cheaper and easier to resolve. I'm wondering if there's anything similar on the twinnie engine that is also as prone to failure?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It does sound odd that you have thick oil in the coolant tank.
There is an exchanger on the front left bottom of the engine that the oil filter screws on to.
It could possibly be that there is an internal leak as that would explain the quantity of oil in the cooling system .
Imo certainly worth a look.
I think all the twinnie engines have the same set up where the coolant passes through the oil filter housing. :thumbs:
Please let us know what you find.
I think the whole square block scews on to the eng/block using the opposite end of the threaded part that you screw the oil filter on to.
Hope that makes sense :thumbs:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks gibot, do you know the name of the part so I can look it up?

I'll prob try get a pressure test on the cylinders to make sure too

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It is listed on eper parts guide as a heat exchanger .
I'm sure they come up on ebay quite often.

http://eper.fiatforum.com/cgi-bin/n...P.NA.00976.FCTLR/rw9.na&type=N&key=1030100002

There is a seal listed between the housing and the exchanger.
It is possible it has come undone as they can move when you remove the oil filter.
The connecting pipes stop it rotating but it only needs to crack the seal for it to leak.
The quantity of oil your talking about might suggest that the unit is not good but could be the seal.
Be worth checking if you can turn the exchanger clockwise by hand see if it feels loose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks v much gibot. very helpful.

is it likely to be head gasket? as far as I remember, the one time I had an HG blow, it was not running right and it was coolant and oil rather than other way around. there's no 'mayo' under my oil cap, and car is running very smoothly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It does sound odd that you have thick oil in the coolant tank.
There is an exchanger on the front left bottom of the engine that the oil filter screws on to.
It could possibly be that there is an internal leak as that would explain the quantity of oil in the cooling system ......
+1 :thumbs:

I had exactly the same problem with my TS. The cause was a rupture inside the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
+1 :thumbs:

I had exactly the same problem with my TS. The cause was a rupture inside the heat exchanger.
Looking at the pic eye had my money on No.5 but No.2 is a good result to as No.5 comes with No.2.

No knowledge at all about the twinkle but this looks the main suspect.

So all is not lost as yet *****.:thumbs:

Pomeo
ALSO By the looks of it it is not a good idea to overtighten the Aisle fultur.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I think that sounds like you have oil pumped in the coolant direct rather than a head gasket or similar that would normally give traces of oil in the water or vice versa. not the quantity you have.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh yeah that will need a good flush ! :wow:
Did you find anything that would give you a clue as what has happened yet ?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Can you give us any info on what the car was driving like prior to your mass oil loss.
has the car been difficult to start when hot or generally ?

Still trying to determine whether you have 1 or 2 separate issues.
As I said If that was the head gasket I would have the thought the car would have ground to a halt. :confused:

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
Worth changing the oil-cooler/heat-exchanger unit and then flushing the coolant through. I wouldn't fill it back up with coolant as it'll quickly go manky again, you're better off filling up with water and then dropping it after a run, "rinse & repeat" until the water comes out.. If the headgasket is OK, the water should get steadily cleaner and the oil level stay good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts