Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
my 2.0 TS is drinking fuel, now, i know i have a heavy foot... BUT, 17 miles from 10 pounds is SH*T!

If anyone can give me some pointers as where to start looking for faults i would hugely appreciate it!

C

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Smell petrol? He has to be DRINKING it whilst on a track day for mpg like that. To be fiat to the OP I'd probably have it checked for running rich but it may be an idea to put a little more in see what happens as the gauges aren't the best when it comes to calibration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope, no petrol smell/ none on the drive when parked up!
The only thing thats changed recently is that there is a slight wine from the cam side of the engine!
but it needs a service, so ill get it checked for richness for sure,
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Do people still put "Just a tenner" in? £10 doesn't buy enough to put the reserve light out these days.

I always fill up by liters and not price so I can easily work out the MPG. I would estimate that you are under 15mpg with that.

Spark plugs, Timing, injectors, oil (gearbox and engine), check for binding brakes, diagnostics.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey guys,
my 2.0 TS is drinking fuel, now, i know i have a heavy foot... BUT, 17 miles from 10 pounds is SH*T!

If anyone can give me some pointers as where to start looking for faults i would hugely appreciate it!

C
Exhaust lambda sensors (measuring 02..) or MAF maybe?

·
Registered
132 Posts
have you checked the thermostat ?
it's probably stuffed and you could be running a cold engine when driving hard,
computer thinks the engine is still cold so it is putting more fuel through !

check where the thermostat sits when driving on freeway or at 70 mph :)

worth a try look !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine is much worse... i can't get even 13 mpg driving in town...:eek:
On the highway i might get around 20... But that's it:rolleyes:
Changed maf, plugs, checked cat but just slighly better...:(
Suggest you also check these and lamdas, injectors as well...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think there may be a lot of lazy or stuck lambdas out there due to old age.. I'm getting a good 30 plus on a run with a new lambda...
It was the one component that made the biggest improvement.. plugs maf filter etc..
they get neglected because they can be a bugger to shift.
it's easy to check them with a voltmeter.

G

·
I know every bodies favourite is the lambda sensor or the MAF spare a little thought for the poor little Knock sensor this also controls the fuel mixture and advance / retard of the timing .
Fairly cheap sensor it would pay for itself in a couple of tanks of gas ish
Better acceleration and fuel economy so I have found recently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts