Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon :happy:

I've recently had my clutch replaced on my 3.0 GTV (93k - original clutch) and for economical reasons (as well as many positive posts about it) I ditched my dual-mass flywheel and replaced with a GTA version and the clutch kit.

The revs pick up much better and 3rd gear performance is improved, but I have one main problem: taking away in 1st is almost impossible to do without some form of judder which resonates through some part of the middle-passenger side of the car. I've checked most things underneath (exhaust, heatshield, etc) and nothing appears to be loose. It is really spoiling my use of the car I have had for over 10yrs.

Wondered if this judder is normal, or if the garage may have missed something on putting back together? What could cause the resonating sound? If this is to be expected, is there a better way to start from standstill? Stop/Start urban traffic is horrible :depressed:

Thanks in advance
Scott

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
It is not normal. I had mine replaced with the same set up and it pulls away smoothly with no judder. It is lighter to use and a great improvement.

As it was done by a garage it would be best to take it back to them to fix in the first instance.

Is it the same if you pull away in second? (Not that I am recommending you do so as a matter of course!). Is it better if you use more revs in first? I am thinking of possible oil contamination.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No judder from mine either, in fact it pulls away as smoothly as it did with the dual mass. I would take it back as somethings not right.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I found I had to be much more careful how I balanced the revs and engaged the clutch after this conversion, as I recall more revs helped, car SORNd for the winter. 2.5 clutch with a 2.5 used flywheel went in mine plus new slave cylinder, starter motor and Quaiffe.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
I have to say that mine was straight swap.
It drove perfectly from the outset and is fine 3 years later - the "loss" of the DMF is in no way noticeable other than it revs a bit more freely. Gear changing technique is the same as before.
I still say go back to the garage that fitted it and don't be fobbed off with "they all do that" as they most certainly don't.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
If the issue materialised upon changing the clutch and the flywheel then you should take it back to the original garage who did the work as PaulR suggests.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts