Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been to see a 156 2.4 at a Vauxhaul dealer for £6990 with no offers.

Well first thing we saw was a hideous rear spoiler which on closer inspection was no painted properly and had bubbles all over it and did not even match the colour properly, you could actually see underneath was red.
Next was that awful tell tale sign that the car won't stop properly. Greenstuff pads. (i think they call em greenstuff cos they are made from snot) Next was the state of the paint. Every inch was covered in swirl marks.

So to the test drive. Wow that engine has some punch, very quick car for what it is but I was right it won't gonna stop. I was properly worried that I could not stop in an emergancy.
Then back at the dealer I told them my concerns and they said they would not do anything to sort them as £7k was cheap.

Well me thinks that car will be sat for a while cos it is a pig.

Only saving grace is that I have now driven a 2.4 and know I want one, just one that has been looked after properly.

But why do people buy a car as beautiful as an Alfa and not polish it and fit substandard parts.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Because people have a habit of buying a car soley because it's a beauty and not have the dosh to keep it on the road. Same with women; the pretty ones always need more than the ugly ones (this is where I open my umbrella and wait for the pc storm to come...). :lol:

·
Registered
40,029 Posts
Because people have a habit of buying a car soley because it's a beauty and not have the dosh to keep it on the road. Same with women; the pretty ones always need more than the ugly ones (this is where I open my umbrella and wait for the pc storm to come...). :lol:
Nice analogy. :D

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The 156 2.4JTD is a great car. I wonder what year the car is at that dealership? Not that it matters, but if it's a pre-facelift car then far too much, and you're looking at that price for a very good late one. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Someone at Alfa needs lynching for letting the rear spoilers happen to the 156 in the first place. I blame marketing types. 'They'll like them, they will sell and we can make some money on them'.

The 156 is beautiful - it doesn't need such adornment.

Using the high maintenance analogy thing, my last may have been like an alfa like high maintenance type, but I really think she'd still be stunning as nature made and without any artificial help really.

·
Registered
40,029 Posts
I like the big wing. :rolleyes:

Its only when coupled with other tasteless body modifications that it looks bad.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
an Alfa is like a beautiful Italian mistress, always leaves the toothpaste open, always leaves tiny black hairs in the shower, uses your razor without saying so, always damages your Alfa when parking.... but who cares when you wake up and see the beauty nect to you !!!:)

G

·
Greenstuff pads are good as gold, certainly improved every car I've used them on. (and the standard 156 brakes certainly need improving)

And the big wing is a love or hate thing, I personally love it, along with the side skirts. The 156 Looks bland without it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Greenstuff are terrible. They glaze far to quickly, they fade after little punishment, have no feel, have no initial bite. I have even heard of them disintigrating.

I had them before on my clio before I new better. Standard renault pads are better. There is only one make of pad you should use with colours in the name and that is Pagid. I have pagid blues on my car and they are as good as greenstuff are bad. I will certainly be putting them on my Alfa. I have hammered them on the nurburgring to the point of smoking and they were working perfectly.

Sorry to argue but if you think they are good spend a little more and fit pagid blues, mintex 1144s or Ferodo ds2500s, you'll wonder how you ever thought greenstuff were good. Actually put standards back on and you'll think the same.

I have driven 2 156s in the last 2 weeks. On one the brakes were fine and on one the brakes were awful. Only diff was greenstuff pads. Enough said really.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ferodo all the way for me. Great performance and low dust generation equate to a great pad for everyday moderate to fast road use.

G

·
I have driven 2 156s in the last 2 weeks. On one the brakes were fine and on one the brakes were awful. Only diff was greenstuff pads. Enough said really.
Can you be certain that the only difference was the pads? What about the fluid? What about the hoses? What about the discs? How hard had either car been treated in the past?

There's more to brakes than what pads you use.

My experiences with Greenstuff have been ace, and I'll use them again in the future.

(and that standard 156 brakes are still crap :lol: )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you be certain that the only difference was the pads? What about the fluid? What about the hoses? What about the discs? How hard had either car been treated in the past?

There's more to brakes than what pads you use.

My experiences with Greenstuff have been ace, and I'll use them again in the future.

(and that standard 156 brakes are still crap :lol: )

Like I said use ferodo or mintex next I'll you will know what I mean.

Or pagid if you afeeling flush

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got to agree with you Babymeans147, had greenstuff on my Subaru and thought they were average at best, then changed to Ds2500..wow what a difference.money well spent.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I am sorry the spoilers are lost on me.

I see the 156 as a tasteful, distinctive sporty saloon.

The high wing would seem more befitting of a Subaru or Evo to me.

The low one looks like it would fit a Mk1 Capri quite well.

As someone contemplating an Alfa, it just turns me off when I see one with a rear wing. A local trader has a black 156 with the bloodbath red leather, which I am finding oddly appealing but it has a rear wing. That many 156s are being broken it would seem relatively easy to get a black boot lid without the spoiler and swap it round.

Look at the GTAs, especially the Estate ones, they look full of intent without such rear wings.

I don't get the rear spoliers on the GTVs either.

Are these wings at all functional? Has someone tested them and said how much downforce they provide at 100mph?

I think one of the few spoliers that I find acceptable are the rear wedge spoiler on the original SAAB 900 Turbo, and I think the 2 door T16S with the rear wing looks OK too, but the Alfas (156 and GTV) are so aesthetically 'right' as standard that to me the rear spoilers look out of kilter.

I quite like the facelifted Mk11 Primeras (wishbones, camchain 2 litre engine) but looking at one (a GT hatchback) but seeing one at an auction a few years ago, it was bubbling around the mounting points of the spolier. Having had 2 Fiats I get a little wary of things that trap dirt and moisture and unnecessary holes in bodywork like sunroofs.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Symonh2000 - I may think the rear spoilers on 156s are questionable, but I love Fiat Coupes, and a Fiat Coupe could be 1/2 of my dream garage.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Greenstuff are terrible. They glaze far to quickly, they fade after little punishment, have no feel, have no initial bite. I have even heard of them disintigrating.

I had them before on my clio before I new better. Standard renault pads are better. There is only one make of pad you should use with colours in the name and that is Pagid. I have pagid blues on my car and they are as good as greenstuff are bad. I will certainly be putting them on my Alfa. I have hammered them on the nurburgring to the point of smoking and they were working perfectly.

Sorry to argue but if you think they are good spend a little more and fit pagid blues, mintex 1144s or Ferodo ds2500s, you'll wonder how you ever thought greenstuff were good. Actually put standards back on and you'll think the same.

I think you have summed it up with your comment regarding hammering them at Nurburgring ''greenstuff'' are not up to that sort of punishment and neither do they claim that; they are suitable and more tham adequate for spirited road use. As has already been discussed yes there are better brake pads out there. But i have to disagree with your assertion that they are not as good as standard, there you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Au revoir pet.:)

·
Registered
40,029 Posts
Symonh2000 - I may think the rear spoilers on 156s are questionable, but I love Fiat Coupes, and a Fiat Coupe could be 1/2 of my dream garage.
Thanks mate. :)

Don't worry I won't be fitting a spoiler to it. It certainly doesn't look right on a Coupe.

Back on the subject of Brakes I haven't tried EBC greenstuff, but I wasn't too impressed by the redstuff versions as I had them on my nissan 200sx. They just didn't bite when cold.

On my coupe I have OMP fast road pads, and I am happy with them. :cool:

before it was fitted with Mintex pads, which stopped the car well enough but they made the brakes sqeel badly and made tonnes of dust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you have summed it up with your comment regarding hammering them at Nurburgring ''greenstuff'' are not up to that sort of punishment and neither do they claim that; they are suitable and more tham adequate for spirited road use. As has already been discussed yes there are better brake pads out there. But i have to disagree with your assertion that they are not as good as standard, there you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Au revoir pet.:)
What would you class as spirited road use??

The buttertubs pass??

Well after one run over the pass my brakes were shagged. I nearly crashed into the car in front when I parked up. And that is on a car that weighs 1050kg not a big heavy Alfa so god know how shot a period they work for with a heavier car.
Also that day I was the only one with "upgraded" brakes and the only one with brakes that faded. I'm not sure about Alfas but Renaults standard pads brake better that greenstuff, hell my mrs' DCI clio broke better than my cup on greenstuff.

G

·
Thanks mate. :)

Back on the subject of Brakes I haven't tried EBC greenstuff, but I wasn't too impressed by the redstuff versions as I had them on my nissan 200sx. They just didn't bite when cold.

That's because RedStuff are primarily competition pads, designed for track day use and more.

Greenstuff are a little less hardcore, more suited to road use. I had them along with EBC Drilled & Grooved disks on my 200sx and it stoped on a sixpence, no fade, no hassle.

Braided hoses are another excellent brake mod.

It's amazing how much faster you can drive by just uprating your brakes, without even touching engine mods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts