Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Awaiting new wheels with trepidation

1213 58
I got a safety recall completed on the C63 a couple of weeks ago. This means that if I have a crash, the passenger will be greeted with an airbag, rather than the shrapnel from the canister that is supposed to inflate the airbag exploding. So that's nice.

While they had it in, the dealership completed a what can we find to gouge some money out of this guy health check, and found a cracked alloy unfortunately. They asked me if I wanted them to quote for a replacement, and I said yes - thinking that would be a nice laugh.
In the event, I didn't get to guffaw at the ludicrous price for an alloy, because it turned out they can't even source them as they don't make them any more.

So, since I don't really like the idea of welded cracks in my alloys, a set of aftermarket's it is. I've checked with my insurance, and made very clear that the reason was the unavailability of standard fitment, and they said no charge and no need to declare even (I've saved that email!)

Now the trepidation bit. I've often thought that the colour of my car (Tenorite Grey) needs something a little different with the alloy colour. Standard silver and anthracite types of colour just blend in. Black turns invisible and boring. My mind, attempting no doubt to be young and hip, has often thought a matte bronze would set the car off well.

What I wanted to do was have a set of bronze alloys put aside, go and offer them up to the car, and potentially realise it was a terrible idea and go with silver.
But these cars demand a weird offset, so the wheels are made specifically to order. So what I have done instead is bought and paid for the wheels, So I've got to hope like hell I was right, and I'm not going to look like a clown when they're fitted on Friday.

I've gone for these.

They have a 'deep dish' concave shape to them too, which I like. Albeit quite limited in this fitment, again because of the odd offset.

I've never liked gold alloys, so I really hope I haven't misjudged the colour! I've just seen a picture on a different site, and they look much brighter! :oops:
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Nice wheels.. i think the matte bronze will look great against tenorite grey .. as you say, a mixed bag of colour images.. some don't actually look matt but you can always have them refinished if not spot on to your needs for reasonable $$ if the style works.

Automotive tire Black Bicycle part Rim Camera accessory

· Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
8,329 Posts
They look very fragile! 😱

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice wheels.. i think the matte bronze will look great against tenorite grey .. as you say, a mixed bag of colour images.. some don't actually look matt but you can always have them refinished if not spot on to your needs for reasonable $$ if the style works.

View attachment 981882
Yeah, that's a fair point.

· Registered
948 Spider LE
11,709 Posts
Interesting choice. Looking forward to seeing some pics in due course.
A C63 estate is quite a rare car, so bronze wheels will add to that and probably make yours unique.
It's good to be a bit different to the rest of the crowd, as we know as current/previous Alfa owners!

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Good friend of mine makes a living by repairing BMW and Mercedes "chocolate" wheels. Dents and cracks are no issue if repaired properly. Service includes a diamond cut and repaint at extra charge and he does a lot ar cars about to be returned at the end of their leases when a repair and refinish is cheaper than the risk of the lease company charges!

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dents and cracks are no issue if repaired properly.
I'm sure you're right. But I've been thinking of changing them for a while anyway - and the only thing that would ever convince me is the existing wheels needing changing or repairing. So now is the time. Hopefully I can sell the old ones for a couple of hundred.

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is. But stop ruining my man maths! :D

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a spacesaver in there. (And C63's have the best looking spacesaver you've ever seen.) But no set of wheels unfortunately.

· Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
21,775 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the end result :)

When it comes to choosing wheels, it’s easy to find yourself going round and round.

(that’s one of my better jokes! - and it’s only Friday! :))

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the end result :)

When it comes to choosing wheels, it’s easy to find yourself going round and round.

(that’s one of my better jokes! - and it’s only Friday! :))
Think what Bazza needs to help him choose is an "artists impression" of what the C63 estate would look like with his new wheels.... calling the artist known as Scudetto. commission perchance?

Reactions: Keithy

· Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
21,775 Posts
Think what Bazza needs to help him choose is an "artists impression" of what the C63 estate would look like with his new wheels.... calling the artist known as Scudetto. commission perchance?
I think that is an excellent idea, Manc. I’ll do some ‘approximate’ sketches for Bazza soon ;-)

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The problem here is that the shadowy, secretive artist know in many circles only as 'G' artificially limits himself to only the brutal scoring of black* against the purity of white paper**, in an avant-garde and plaintive - nay, anguished - cry against the colourful, but ultimately shallow, reality of our true existence.
It's powerful stuff. But it's not very good for judging whether a colour choice is going to work out.

*Sometimes blue, if his black biro runs out.
**Not all that pure if he uses lined paper. But that's probably a metaphor for something too.

Reactions: Scudetto

· Administrator
49,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back to the banal:
Today is the day of truth. I'm working this morning, then off to get them fitted in the afternoon. I might get the car washed on the way, because it's currently absolutely covered in crap, since I made the (enjoyable) mistake of taking a country road route into Macclesfield last weekend.
I will try then to remember to take before and after shots.

Reactions: manc350
1 - 20 of 59 Posts