Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good or bad opinion about Avon tyres?

I'm buying some new wheels for Tarquini (94 Skinny) and if I buy the tyres with the wheels they work out at £75 each, which seems difficult for any other place/tyre to beat.

I can't remember what model they are but they have that "pointy" tread rather like the Yokohama AV1 or Toyo Proxes.

I could spend more on a better tyre if they're totally useless but my wheels are already putting a dent in my wallet so I can put up with them if they're just "not that great" (they seem too cheap to be "awesome").

Other than that, does anyone know where I can get an alternative for the same price or less? They're 205/40 x17. Rrrrrr!

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ralf

I wouldn't touch them! Henry had some fitted and said they were no good, seen the same in tyre reviews too.

I got Dunlop 3000's for £72 each. Done 10k on them and theres a bit left yet. Good in the wet and dry :D

wrinx

·
Registered
180 Posts
Likewise. I wouldn't touch Avons again. I had the good fortune of trying out several tyre brands on my car a while ago. All tyres were excellent in the dry but the only tyre that amazed me in the wet was the Goodyear Eagle F1's, either the GS2/GS3's. I've used F1's ever since. Expect to pay between £70/£80 for each tyre which includes fitting and balancing.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
i agree,
Avons are not so good in my experience, especially in the wet and braking (and cornering in your heavy V6).
I`ve never had a problem with goodyear and have tried all types. The NCT2 often is hard to balance, the NCT5 is fine and the F1 is very good.
I would say that the ultimate for all round road are Pirrelli but you pay for them in a sporty type!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ZZ1s aren't good but the ZZ3 is supposed to be a lot better as it uses silicon based compound like F1's and Proxes. TVR fit them as standard to the Tamora.

I'm getting Toyos though :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had a set of Avons on my XR3 (i was a lot younger then).they were crap, wore to quickly and were *rap when cornering.
The company i work for build their exhibition stands all over europe.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ralf,
Just so there's absolutely no doubt, let me reiterate what everybody else says......AVONS ARE CRAP in the wet.

I run ZZ1s on the front of my car and if you can make it up to my place and take them off the rims - their yours for free.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had Avons on my 17" ers, SHITE in the wet, not much better in the dry.......

·
Registered
189 Posts
BF Goodies on the front & Cobra (Avon budget brand) on the back - excellent balance, no understeer.

but I've still got stock 205/50 15's on my v6.

Conti's used to be good but wore quickly.

Used to have NCT's on my 164, but wore them sooooo quickly

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone tried the Hankook Ventus seem to come up trumps in the tests just wondered what they were like compared to the toyo's as they get nearly twice the mark for wear! Very good value to!

M.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAK!

funnily enough.. i've just got 4 of these put on yesterday!

I went to knockhill for a track session and it was wet and my old one's were illegal... i was aiming for the toyo's but nowhere had them here.. the Hankook ventus is what i went for in the end.

They seem very good so far... saying that tho i did go from a very shagged set of toyo's to full tread.. that make a huge diff in the wet... i was getting wheel spin from 2-3 gear change... nasty huh?

Over the legth of the track session... (wet) they did seem to perform very well.. i wasn't losing anyone and in fact i was going through some of the twisties better than most... you could see their car begining to drift as i was catching them and still fully gripping.

I got them cheaper than the toyo's too... i'd say give them a try... you never find a decent set of tires untill you do!

J

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've had no problems with grip with my ZZ-1's, there again the rods around here ain't fit for tractors let alone fine motors or perhaps I'm not trying hard enough to get a reaction.
I MUST TRY HARDER....
BTW I'm experimenting with tyre pressures has anyone got any sugestions? wink

·
Registered
715 Posts
I now have 4 Toyo Proxis T1S's in 215/40/17 aand the car now sticks like **** to a blanket!!

The Avon ZZ1's gave me no confidence, but were hard wearing.

Apparently Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD 4's got the best all round review in Evo mag, followed by Bridgestone SE03's then Toyo. The Toyo's gave the best grip etc I think and the others did well on boring things like road noise and comfort!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts