Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a heads up for anyone looking at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...0664057?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27e250b2f9

DO NOT WANT!

I was the 1st owner of this car back in 2007, and due to multiple persistent and unsolvable faults it was bought back by Alfa UK and I was given a FoC replacement.

The bugger should have been crushed, yet here is she is 7years later!!

My trials and tribulations were covered extensively on here, it can only be a world of pain.

This is as least the 4th time I have seen it for sale over the years, so I can only presume it continues to be a PoS!

You have been warned :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Maybe all the items have been fixed by now... You could say that about any car being a lemon its just the chance you take I have know quite a few brand new cars going pop and major problems within the first 100 miles when I worked at Bentley using there new lease cars vw, audi but they all got fixed. Maybe your jealous as you have a 1998 spider :cheese:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe your jealous as you have a 1998 spider :cheese:
WTF? I had the black Spider long before the 939s and its still here now.

This is a courtesy heads up to fellow forum members, no need to try and be clever.

Alfa took it back off me and replaced FoC with a new facelift which was perfect.

I loved my 2nd 939 and only got rid to fund a house deposit

This red one was the 5th off the production line in RHD and was just a complete shambles.

From memory (distant!):

- Paint falling off (diagnosed as over-baked in production)
- Clutch pedal regularly going to the floor
- Hood frame twisted
- Steering rack knackered
- Injectors faulty
- EGR faulty
- Constantly doing DPF regens
- Poor alignment causing the inside of the tyres to wear within 5k miles
- Random cabin rattles and shakes
- Aircon for the arm rest not connected and never fixed
- Brakes constantly squeaking
- more I cant remember....

That was on a new car with less than 15k mway miles on the clock.

Still, it looked good ;)

·
Vendor
47,356 Posts
Its done almost 60k miles since you sold it though, so it can't have been off the road all that much. Perhaps its now fixed - anyway it seems like its for sale at the same dealer that sold it in 2011, I'm sure if it was a dog still in 2011 they'd have put it through the auctions this time around instead of retailing it.

Good to keep buyers informed though, its not nice buying a car and later finding out some dodgy history.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back in the day, Alfa UK told me it was being taken back in and was going to be used as a personnel car somewhere within Fiat Group (no idea if that was the truth of it).

I gave it back with about 20k miles in August 2008.

This is one of the cheapest Spiders on eBay at the moment and will therefore prove tempting - if I can save a fellow AOwner from some grief, then I consider this post worthwhile.

Conversely, if anyone stumbles across LJ58GEY on their travels, that was my replacement car and it was bloody fantastic.

Here it is with my 916:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/alexisbad/IMG_01241024x768.jpg

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,364 Posts

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
I like the other one more.. :D

But no reason to be angry with it just because it had a difficult childhood.. :) It must be sorted by now or it would have had hundreds of owners... not just a fairly respectable 3 owners from new.. One was you, the other must've been AR... so someone kept and looked after the beast for 3 or 4 years. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts