Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these last week to replace the failing wipers on my 159.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-15...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5d275b1163

The old phrase of "You get what you pay for" is soooo apt and true!
Great delivery, great price, pants product.

Firstly they were very difficult to fit, the spindle on the wiper arm was slightly larger than the hole in the replacement blades, but after a bit of lubrication and brute force they went on.
Great I thought. Set off with the wife and two kids in the car, got on the M5 and used them for the first time. 50% of the blade doesn't even come into contact with the screen!
Stopped at the services and tried to bend the arm, check the blades etc... No use.

Got home, eventually, and took them off and fitted the old ones. Unfortunately I managed to snap a small piece of plastic of the centre fitting on one of them. So the company won't refund. Grrrr.

Have ordered a set of Bosch Aero blades instead! Well worth £20.19!

Don't say you haven't been warned...:confused:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the 156 and the 159 blades are different?
The 159 blades in particular were useless, Chinese made and pointless.
In my opinion of course.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
The two pairs I bought from halfords @ £20, left a line right in my eyesight the whole wipe. This is the only set I've found to clear the whole screen properly! His feednack is good, maybe you just got a dodgy set? Shame but it happens.

Shame you broke it or you could have got a refund. :(

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've had the Bosch Aerotwins on my GT and on the whole really liked them..the only problem with the GT ones was that Halfords didnt seem to stock the replacement blades :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to Halfords expecting them to stock, but they were a special order job, and they couldn't tell me the price, hence I ordered the ebay jobs.
The bloke in front of me at the Halfords queue was asking how much a set for his 2004 5 series were, they looked into the computer and gave him the news, "£70.19 sir" Gulp. He went rather pale!

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts
wiperblades.co.uk. Bosch Aerotwin. Sorted.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, ordered Bosch Aerotwin from ebay. Reputable seller, £20.90 all in. Wiperblades.co.uk don't have any instock at the moment and the total cost would be £31.50 with delivery.
Fingers crossed I get the real deal...

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I'm using wiperblades.co.uk's own-brand AeroBlades on my 147, which cost me £13.45 including postage in June last year (the blades, not the car, although according to Parker's price guide that's about what it's worth!). I'm usually wary of cheap products, but on the basis of the Auto Express test quoted on wb's website I decided to give them a try. A good product.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi w71,

I followed your link out of curiosity - half way down it says the blades are for a 147 from 05 onwards , even though the item is titled 159. Could that be the problem - ie straightforward **** up which mixed 147 and 159 ?

Kind regards Leander

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the 147 has an 18 inch passenger side blade and a 22 inch drivers side then maybe! Doubt it though, just a poor quality item.

I bought a Bosch set from ebay, £20.19 all in, they dropped on perfectly, and the difference is staggering. Perfect.

Should have done this in the first place.

G

·
Replace wiper blades in 15 seconds .. no tools

If the 147 has an 18 inch passenger side blade and a 22 inch drivers side then maybe! Doubt it though, just a poor quality item.

I bought a Bosch set from ebay, £20.19 all in, they dropped on perfectly, and the difference is staggering. Perfect.

Should have done this in the first place.
Replaced mine yesterday, bout 20 quid for the aerotwins on fleabay. Got tools out that I thought I might need, screw drivers mole grips etc....

They just lift out ... what a fabulous piece of design !!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Totally agree CuriousOrange, was there with my tool kit ready to wrestle with clips and whatnot, slipped off, slipped on. Ahhhhh....they should all be like that!
Mind you, Halfords will still charge people 2.99 for the job!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Picked up these Goodyear blades in Costco for £5.49 each, not used them yet but they look as though they will do a good job. I'll report back after the weekend. GoodYear Wiper Blades - Goodyear responsEdge Technology? - assurance
I bought those but when I went to fit them they didn't have the right fitting, that's despite them listing the Brera in the book (which is the same as the spider). I then bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200386970667&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

Which have been perfect! Much better than the OEM wipers which were crap from day 1.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Hi w71,

I followed your link out of curiosity - half way down it says the blades are for a 147 from 05 onwards , even though the item is titled 159. Could that be the problem - ie straightforward **** up which mixed 147 and 159 ?

Kind regards Leander
The 147 05 onwards are the same size and fixing as the 159. I had a spare set of Bosch ones in the gagrage for my 147 and found they are spot on for the 159. Result!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts