Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

My 2.4 does a DPF regen about every 250-300 miles. Is that normal? I thought it would be a bit more than that!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
sounds ok, I get between 250>700 miles, depending on the fuel,as in supermarket or the performance types, also weather I do short or long journeys, and how much lead foot:lol:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a stupid question.!! The fuel consumption computer shows an even lower value, the exhaust note deepens and the exhaust is mega hot! I have also noticed that when cruising the boost guage reads zero, and at idle it reads just above zero.

I use Shell fuel and my daily driving is 10 miles each way to work, which is only stop start for a few sets of lights. I try to give it a spirited run every other day. The car has only covered just over 1K miles, so don't want to rev the nuts off it too much just yet:) :) :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
1k miles? Nah go for it, it's run in by then!

I've done over 36k in mine now, have to say i've not actually noticed a regen once yet...

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
On long trips I have the trip computer set to "current consumption" so it is very obvious as the fuel consumption goes through the roof. Also, if the cruise control is on the engine has trouble keeping a constant speed and it feels a bit rough.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You are likely to only notice it if you have the current mpg displayed on the computer, and you look at it.

Pete

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I have noted this new one - My reverse sensors were going off for no obvious reason yesterday as I was putting my car in garage. When I stepped out I could smell and hear that a regen was in progress - The extra heat from the exhausts was obviously setting off the sensors!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My regen period ranges from 250km to 900km (~155-560 miles), depending if I'm stuck in the city or cruising in a highway for a long travel.

However, I experience a rough behaviour of the engine during the regeneration. This means there's a judder in the throttle, a loss of power during a second or so, and then a rapid recovery. I feel this judder during the entire regeneration. Nothing really dangerous, but a little bit annoying. Anyhow, I try not to overcome anyone during these periods, just in case I need that extra power I'm losing somehow.

Knowing the problems there have been with the 2.4 engine, I took the car to the dealer to check it, but they said it was the proper behaviour of some units.

Reading that many people does not even notice the moment of the regenaration, I guess "proper behaviour" is not exactly the word. I'll try to foresee the moment of the regeneration based on the mileage and take it to the dealer this week to let them see the judder in action.

P.S.: I also experience the "false positives" of the parking sensors sometimes, and that is far better than "false negatives" when parking, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
972 Posts
This may be a silly question.....would using a fuel additive (such as Millers) help keep the engine clean, and hence lengthen the period between regens; or is it not advisable to use a fuel additve with a DPF? My 1.9cdti Vectra ran an awful lot better using one, but that didn't have a DPF. It certainly stopped the mega amounts of smoke it generated when running without an additive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone confirm how long a regen should take, i noticed one this morning and it went on for about 5 minutes, is that normal?

EDIT: Just done a search and 8 mins seems to crop up as the time required

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every 700 kmh seems to stick in my mind for a regen and the exhaust rubbers smell like they are melting and the car does hesitate slightly, this is all ok after the regen though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts