Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'm unable to navigate to the average fuel consumption display. I can only find the range display. I seem to recall that on my 147 TS switching displays was possible by pressing a button or moving a stalk?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Right-hand stalk, press repeatedly until you see what you require on the display.
Pages 36-39 in the owner manual. If you don’t have one you can get them relatively easily in hard copy or as a download.
You’ll find it useful for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right-hand stalk, press repeatedly until you see what you require on the display.
Pages 36-39 in the owner manual. If you don’t have one you can get them relatively easily in hard copy or as a download.
You’ll find it useful for this sort of thing.
Thank you! I actually have the owner manual but have had some trouble understanding it! It seems that when I press the button on the end of the stalk it then returns to the main menu and ends up in a loop?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
It will loop through all the options as you press the button repeatedly but ought to stabilise on the last selection. If it doesn’t that’s odd. I usually have average consumption for A selected, I rarely bother with the others except for instantaneous consumption once in a while.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will loop through all the options as you press the button repeatedly but ought to stabilise on the last selection. If it doesn’t that’s odd. I usually have average consumption for A selected, I rarely bother with the others except for instantaneous consumption once in a while.
I don't seem to be able to select anything other than the range. Would that be the only information available for B?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I use B as a running accumulation for since I bought mine. It has a menu that is the same as A.

I reset A every time I fill with fuel which hasn’t been that often over the last year!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use B as a running accumulation for since I bought mine.
I was hoping to do the same but when I tried to set it, it consecutively reset everything and the mileage that I started with on collection was lost as well as the consumption data of the first full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
It will do that with a ‘long’ press. ‘Short’ presses will scroll.

·
Registered
341 Posts
No, you should just press the stalk to cycle the display screens and it should stay on each one unless you press it again.

A long press if you’re looking at the A data will reset it, a long press while looking at the B data will reset that.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, you should just press the stalk to cycle the display screens and it should stay on each one unless you press it again.

A long press if you’re looking at the A data will reset it, a long press while looking at the B data will reset that.
Thank you everyone, managing it now!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone, managing it now!
I'm puzzled about this again.......I have had two 50 litre tank refills in the Cloverleaf and the tripmeter suggests that I have averaged 36 MPG - on both checks!? The maths appear correct - average around 400 miles per 50 litres (from warning light flicker) but the average consumption indicator never bettered 26.9 MPG. I'm in London mainly but with a mix of motorway as well...and on occasion I'm enthusiastic but have not tried the Dynamic mode since the purchase road-test........?!

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
983 Posts
It’s probably best to take the trip computer average with a pinch of salt. I checked mine against almost empty fillups and it was close, but a bit off (I forget by how much). You’ll also have to reset the trip at each fillup by holding the stalk button for a few seconds.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s probably best to take the trip computer average with a pinch of salt. I checked mine against almost empty fillups and it was close, but a bit off (I forget by how much). You’ll also have to reset the trip at each fillup by holding the stalk button for a few seconds.
Thank you Iron Wizard. I'm able to reset correctly but still bewildered by the 36 MPG mixed driving return!

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
983 Posts
I have a diesel so can’t help with what sort of consumption you should expect from a petrol, unfortunately. It’s odd that the trip is so far out though.... Just a thought, you’re not looking at trip B and it’s showing a longer overall average? I only ask as I use trip A between fillups and trip B between services so I can get two figures. So my trip B is a different figure to A.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
When I first got mine, it did 300 to a tank, now I'm lucky if it gets 250. Usually get 50 litres in a full up.
To be fair, when I did take it on a long run, 36mpg was right.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a diesel so can’t help with what sort of consumption you should expect from a petrol, unfortunately. It’s odd that the trip is so far out though.... Just a thought, you’re not looking at trip B and it’s showing a longer overall average? I only ask as I use trip A between fillups and trip B between services so I can get two figures. So my trip B is a different figure to A.
The trip settings were made just prior to my purchase of the Cloverleaf but I made a blunder by resetting Trip A that had been zeroed from the time of engine repair and Trip B is being used between fill-ups. The average consumption indicated for A and B are very close indeed (28/29 MPG) but do not reflect the actual consumption that is 36 MPG!?

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
983 Posts
That is quite a bit off. I think the only way to check it will be to brim the tank, drive around a bit and then refill it - I’d suggest at least using half a tank before refilling - and then note how much it takes to refill, and the mileage at that point, maybe even use the main odometer rather than the trip.

So; fill to the first click on the pump, not mileage, drive about using half a tank at least, refill to the first click again, if possible using the same pump; subtract original mileage. Divide the litres showing on the pump by 4.546 to convert to gallons, divide miles covered by gallons = true average mpg.

Putting in say 50l when the fuel light comes on and then doing a similar process won’t be as accurate because you can’t be sure of how much was left in the tank unless you bring it.

It’s a faff but might prove more accurate....

·
Registered
273 Posts
+1 for the above. In fact, if a few of us do it, we could see what the average, "average" is....if you see what I mean.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1 for the above. In fact, if a few of us do it, we could see what the average, "average" is....if you see what I mean.
Very good idea to re-confirm using odometer. Also, obtaining the average, "average" will help potential buyers because for many years I was misled into believing the 1750 TBi was a "guzzler". After two re-fills since purchase, it appears that my Cloverleaf has a better return than my 147 1.6 TS and 156 1.8 TS!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts