Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auxiliary belt has started smoking on my gt jts. Popped the belt off today and everything turns easily except the power steering pump, which still turns by hand but is much stiffer than the others. Does anyone know if this is normal, or should it be much easier to turn? Has anyone experienced this before that can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi
the pump should spin easy , ive not had the problem but im guessing pump bearing. does the pump spin when engine running or is that the source of the smoke. as it maybe locking up when under pressure from the belt tensioner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The pump does spin with the engine running, but it was tight to turn by hand. I have a feeling that its not turning as fast as the belt which is then heating up and starting to smoke. It's hard to tell for definite but I can't see anything else that could be causing the smoke and the ps pump isn't turning as freely as I thought it would. Thanks for the help, think you've help me make up my mind, replacement pump required!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts