Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Post last week but no joy - so trying again!! Looking for some advice before I start as bit of a newbie to vehicle electrics.

I am planning to add an “aux in” to my bella: a 2003 147 2.0TS Lusso. I bought the blaupunkt cd-changer to phono lead and after shorting the data in/out sure enough the hu showed “changer” and my xperia arc phone played its tunes through the ICE. Happy days.

So now I know it all works I want to route an audio input, switch and power suppy to the glovebox. This way I can switch between “Changer” and “CD” on the HU and also provide power to a small line amp in the glovebox to boost the low level output of my phone. Once I have got this all working I intend to upgrade the front door speakers too.

My help needed:
1) Can I use the switched 12+ output on the blue ISO block to power a cig socket added to the glovebox? If using this feed is the glovebox powered off unless “changer is selected” on the HU? This would be ideal as only need power feed when using phone
2) What rating of cable and in-line fuse should I add to protect the circuit? I was thinking 3A
4) Anybody know how to remove the glovebox inner trim so I can modify and add the sockets etc. into the trim to make it look like a pro install )
5) Thinking of wiring an Fiio E5 into the glovebox powered via the new cig socket – as my phone has low level output - anybody got experience of these?

Look forward to responses – this forum has already got me this far so sure I can finish this little project with your help (although snow has stopped play this weekend )

Thanks in advance...

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Did I miss your post last week? Sorry. :(

My help needed:
1) Can I use the switched 12+ output on the blue ISO block to power a cig socket added to the glovebox? If using this feed is the glovebox powered off unless “changer is selected” on the HU? This would be ideal as only need power feed when using phone
2) What rating of cable and in-line fuse should I add to protect the circuit? I was thinking 3A
4) Anybody know how to remove the glovebox inner trim so I can modify and add the sockets etc. into the trim to make it look like a pro install )
5) Thinking of wiring an Fiio E5 into the glovebox powered via the new cig socket – as my phone has low level output - anybody got experience of these?
I don't know how much power can be supplied from the wires in the blue mini-ISO block. 3A could be pushing it (though I expect you may not actually need that much). Because of my doubt, I would tap into a more robust power source, and suggest the cig lighter powerwire (presuming you don't utilise this for anything/much else). If you access the plug underneath (remove the gearshift gaiter first and reach under), the middle of 3 wires is a 'switched'/ignition +12V powerwire. So it will only turn on when you turn the key, and will charge the phone whenever you drive.

Alternatively, use the wire in the blue mini-ISO plug to trigger a relay, but this becomes overly complex.

The fuse size can be within a range, and up to the limit of the powerwire you use, so it depends upon the gauge of the wire. 18awg (1.02mm^2) is rated up to 16A, which is obviously plenty, so a 3A fuse is perfectly fine; 24awg (0.51mm^2) can handle up to 3.5A, and I doublt you'd go thinner than that.

I've not dismantled the glovebox before, but I expect it's self-evident once you get started.

I've no experience with the Fiio, sorry. Though hopefully it won't result in inteference. Ground everything solidly, that needs to be grounded.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice shiny_car
Have read lots of your posts to get me this far!
Do you know whether the power supply from the blue-iso block is switched? ie power only supplied when "Changer" selected as SRC from the head unit. That way my usb device in the glovebox wont be drawing any battery current when not needed - would hate to find my bella flat one cold morning from my little diy project!
I will check out how easy it is to connect my new power socket from the existing cigar lighter - which I am currently using for my tomtom.
Also am planning to order some speakers to upgrade front doors - thinking Hertz DSK165 - will these run loud enough of factory head unit? Sens quoted at 93dB so hope they will be OK. I cant bring myself to ruin the appearance of the dash by adding aftermarket head unit and dont want the expense of amps etc. just a clarity improvement on the audio would be nice as I find the current setup a tad mushy.
Thanks again.
N

·
7,713 Posts
Do you know whether the power supply from the blue-iso block is switched? ie power only supplied when "Changer" selected as SRC from the head unit.
I presume it is, given the symbol used in the wiring schematic. So there's both the UB+ main power supply, and the switched power supply. Because the switched power supply is merely an electrical 'trigger' to the CD changer, it's probably designed only for very low current output. That's my only concern: whether it's enough to run your charger.

That way my usb device in the glovebox wont be drawing any battery current when not needed - would hate to find my bella flat one cold morning from my little diy project!
I will check out how easy it is to connect my new power socket from the existing cigar lighter - which I am currently using for my tomtom.
The cig powerwire is 'switched', but only via the ignition key, and obviously not via the headunit CD changer. So the charger will be 'live' whenever the ignition is on; that should be fine, cos it'll turn off when you remove the key.

The cig lighter will easily cope with supplying both a TomTom power supply and the charger.

Also am planning to order some speakers to upgrade front doors - thinking Hertz DSK165 - will these run loud enough of factory head unit?
Should be fine. They are meant to be a good upgrade for running off the headunit. My mate fitted the next level ESK165 to his car - off the headunit - and was very pleased.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I will use the cigar lighter as a safer power feed - will still put a 3A fuse inline for added peace of mind too.
I have also had some advice from another top AO user on glovebox removal - so should all go well.
All the cable, connectors etc ordered so hope to start my little audio upgrade project this weekend.
Thanks for the great advice.

·
7,713 Posts
Cool. Would be good to take a photo log to show people how to do it! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
nleeming, shiny_car,

Sorry to hijack the post slightly, but it is a quick question!

I am looking to install an ipod in for my blaupunkt unit too. As i am not fussed about using the CD, is it a simple case of plugging one of these in:
Aux Input CT29BP02 Blaupunkt - 3.5mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Looking in the other items, there seems to be a few different variations of this cable - some seem to have another thin (poss earthing?) wire coming off the iso connector, so just want to be sure i get the right one!

Thanks for the help guys,

Barney

·
7,713 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Barney,

I have an 03reg 147 (march 2003) and it works fine with my HU the blaupunkt cable as long as you connect the data in/out.

Can't confirm if it work on a GT but you can get a ready made cable from radioworld for less than a fiver - here's a link to one I bought as a test:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260490716773?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2492wt_1185

So not much to spend to see if it works!

I have since bought a blank plug and terminals from nexxia and made one myself with a switch across the data pins to select between cd and the aux in. Have also run a power supply from the cigar lighter to the glovebox and aim to get the project finished by custom installing all of the bits and bobs into the glovebox this weekend.

Will post details on here when its finished...

Best of luck!

Nathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts