Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving up to my mothers this afternoon and the aux drive belt snapped due to the tensioner failing.
Doesn't look like to hard a job to replace the parts however my question is do I need to go the dealers for the tensioner and The idler or are they available from local motor factors or halfords etc.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
No chance. You can get them from EB Spares or Alfashop though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked them out but I could do with getting the bits tommorrow mourning so I can fit them straight away. Looks like about £100 for the bits from EB spares how much more would I expect to say from the dealers if they have them on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
More. I don't know exactly how much, but they won't be on the shelf.;)

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
I would change the idler whilst you are at it, I think they only cost £15 or so.

The idler is often responsible for squeaks from the auxillary belt area.

The only problem is the bolt has a 15mm head and is recessed. You will need a recessed apanner to undo it as there is not enough space between the bolt and the chassis rail to use a socket. :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got plenty tools to do the job its getting the bits I'm worried about as I need the car back on the road by lunchtime tuesday at the latest.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That's right. A normal combination spanner is no good. You need a double ring spanner with a shallow crank.

Clean the pulleys with a multi vee (crank, alternator, A/C compressor) to help eliminate any squeaks.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
If the Aub tensioners just let go then how old is the cam belt? I'd go the safe route and do a full belt replacement on it, but if you have a UNIPART near you then they can get the stuff next day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got all the parts today from my local alfa dealer for just over £115 and fitted them this afternoon.

£33 for the belt was a bit steep but nowhere else local had one in otherwise could have been done for under £100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts