Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just leaving work, got 50 yards to the roundabout and the battery light warning light came on and my power steering failed followed by a nasty burning smell. Limped 50 yards more into the petrol station and looked under the bonnet to the see aux belt not spinning at all.

Turned it off, heard a clunk inside somewhere and now the aux belt is loose!

No indication of any problems on the way in.

Ah well, I'd just hit 40K (89K on the clock) on the cam belt too so may as well get them both done.

Add the £430 I've just spent on 4 brand spanking new tyres and this is turning into an expensive month....

At least it past the MOT with no faults! Not bad for an 11 year old car.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Crank belt pully gone? Sounds like what happened to me.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yes sounds like the crank pulley has come apart, they are in 2 pieces, an inner and outer ring joined by a rubber damper, its the rubber that fails.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yes sounds like the crank pulley has come apart, they are in 2 pieces, an inner and outer ring joined by a rubber damper, its the rubber that fails.
Does or can this cause damage to the engine?
I want to replace mine for piece of mind but keep putting it off - is there potential for it to scrap the engine?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
if the pully fails then it wont drive the belt. not sure what the belt drives but i'd have thought as long as it doesn't get into the timing belt, it'll be ok.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yes I guess that especially if the aux belt gets shredded or if the broken pulley flailing about put a hole in the cover it can find its way into the timing belt area but its not a common fault
I fitted a new one when I did the timing belt and manifold on my car, it was about £50 from mister autos. It was a bit fiddly to get the belt back on even with the engine mount off and the engine jacked up, it would be a pain to do it with the mount in place, you need a big spanner, I think a 32mm to hold the tensioner back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confirmed as the pulley had fallen off, we found it down the bottom of the engine but it's a big one so wouldn't come out through the top. No damage done as far as I can tell, it fires up ok and drove onto the low loader and back off again at the garage, doesn't half take some effort to spin the wheel with no power steering!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
This has happened twice to ours. The first time there was the most god awful clattering and smoke pouring out of the bonnet. I thought the engine had dropped its big ends on the road. The second time we simply lost PAS and drove it home.

Not a biggie to fit, but a genuine pulley is not cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was just about the start a thread stating the same thing... On my way down the m65 lastnight and the battery warning light came on followed by some very very heavy steering, i continued to drive home but was getting a very unnerving rattling from under the bonnet...

·
Registered
326 Posts
This happened on my 2.4 210ps in Monaco in 30c as I was waiting at some traffic lights driving in from Italy.
My pre-tensioner pulley bearing was the reason. I had to cut out the belt to stop it being chewed up by the Drive belt, then drive up the hill a local garage (Monaco Pit stop) who put on a new bearing kit and pre-tensioner.

I think I was lucky because it was just tickover at the lights. Imagine if it breaks at speed..

What is the best pre-tensioner brand and how often should it be replaced?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
There is no scedule to change anything on the aux belt but when I did my timing belt at 60k I changed it all, pulley, idler, belt and tensioner. I got a Gates tensioner and belt for £60 idler for £15 and Dayco pulley for £50 from mister autos.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Is there anything that can cause extra stress on the bottom pulley? Like remapping or driving style? I’ve had one break off and 2 that needed replacing and that’s all in 3 years/18,000 miles. I see nothing in the FSH that one had been replaced before my ownership/60,000 miles/remap. Always genuine Alfa part too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just about the start a thread stating the same thing... On my way down the m65 lastnight and the battery warning light came on followed by some very very heavy steering, i continued to drive home but was getting a very unnerving rattling from under the bonnet...
Are you either the red Brera I see every morning about 7:30am heading eastbound (I'm heading west) around junction 4/5 or the opposite way at about 5pm?

You won't have seen me last night of course, working from home with the car currently in the garage.

Good news is this belt and the cam belt + water pump will both be replaced by Tuesday evening. Hurray!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Is there anything that can cause extra stress on the bottom pulley? Like remapping or driving style? I’ve had one break off and 2 that needed replacing and that’s all in 3 years/18,000 miles. I see nothing in the FSH that one had been replaced before my ownership/60,000 miles/remap. Always genuine Alfa part too.
No not really. Having the aircon constantly on will put a bit more load on it but thats all concidered when it was designed.
That many failures is more than bad luck so I would have a good check of the alignment of all the pulleys and see that the belt is running straight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just been to pick my car up after the tensioner and belt have been changed, there now seems to be an excessive noise coming from the front end, does anyone have an idea of what this could cause this following the belt change?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts