Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, welcome to my first proper post as I am today, a proud owner of a nice 147 jtd 16v M-jet (2003).. my first ever alfa romeo..

I have a niggling sqeek, which is directly linked to engine speed, and have tried squirting some soapy water on the aux drive belt, and the squeek goes away for a short period.. also when you accleerate it seems to quieten down a bit too , suspect its as the engine speeds up the belt tightens slightly....?

Do the jtd 16v mjet have any problems with the tensioners? the belt feels a bit too slack when I tug on it with my fingers..

I'm planning on changing the drive belt and all the tensioners at the same time I change the timing belt with all those tensioners too,

Do you think this is a simple belt squeek? hope so :)

absolutely loved the drive back, very very comfy (rare for me) perfect pedals, great 6spd gbox and wonderful power delivery :) a big time convert I think...

thanks all

-stef

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gah - love it when girls talk engine lingo :thumbs:

Soz I can't help myself - I'm not familiar enough with the 147's

I'm sure one the lads here will be able to sort your queries :)

JR

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stef , as in stefan.

thanks...lol

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It will be your aux belt tensioner ... mine was seized and caused it to squeek on start up, my mechanic freed it up though ...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any tips on the cam belt change? starting to feel a bit daunted . . .

I've started taking all the gubbins off to expose it, and deffinately the aux belt tensioner is very stiff, I can hardly move it by hand, -gona have to use a long lever to get the belt off..

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive got to the point about to loosen the belt to remoove it, ive marked my cam sprocket and zero'd the crank at tdc. , doesnt look as bad as I has imagined. All the plastic covers and the aux belt seemed to be the worst of it..! :) fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts