Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the alternator on my 02 1.8 TS CF3 today as the old one had siezed. I used one I had that came off an 2000 selespeed assuming that it would be pretty much the same. It wasn't until I came to fit the aux belt that I discovered the pulley size has changed and the old one is bigger than the one I took off and the aux belt won't fit. So I need either a longer aux belt or a smaller idler to make it fit. Does anyone know when the alternator was changed? I presume the older 1.8 TS had the larger alternator pulley too? So will an aux belt for a 2000 1.8 or older work?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the 1.8 has a 75amp unit while a 2.ol has 100amp unit.

just buy an aux belt for a 2.ol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that doesn't figure, the one I took off has a smaller pulley, which = faster rotation and therefore more power. Now theres probably more too it than that but I would have said the one i've put on is more likely to be the lower amp unit, not that it bothers me that much.

And I cant fit a 2.0l aux belt as it is a lot longer because the air conn pump sits further forward on the 2.0. I would have thought you knew that if u service Alfas :)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
does your car have aircon?

as for servicing alfa I usual deal with 'out of factory configurations' not mongeral ones with bits for a 1.8 & 2.0l thrown together :cheese:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its got Air-Conn, as I said its 02 and at that point I thought they all shipped with Air-Conn? I fail to see what my Mongrelised configuration has got to do with the air conn pump being further forward on the 2.0.

Anyway, back to my original question, did the older 1.8's have a longer belt or smaller idler than the newer ones? I know most places ask for chassis number when you order aux belt so theres got a be different types!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, thanks for that! I currently have 6PK1842 (which is actually still legible on the belt), so I figure I now need 6PK1855 which is presumably 13mm longer.

M

·
0 Posts
Just make sure the tensioer is sitting in its proper location as this was a common mistake but as far as I remember there are 2 air con belts but the number of ribs was the difference 5 or 6 pk but try a motor factor as the gates book will help. But with Alfa there were so many little differences between countries as regards the altenators but the gates book should really help you out....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the 6PK in the code refers to 6 peaks therefore both the 6PK1842 & 6PK1855 will have 6 peaks, one is just 13 mm longer. 13mm seems about right for the extra needed to clear the larger alternator pulley so I figure that at some point they changed the alternator pulley size and therefore belt size too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts