Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm looking to buy a car for under £500, why would I be interested in spending up to £500 a month on a contract hire car?

It's really pointless having these ads as someone wanting a car for under £500 is not going to be in the market.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good plan. Plus the local paper. Autotrader doesn't seem to be that great for bangers. Probably costs too much to advertise.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Ha ha, I've noticed a few of those and got irritated by it, never struck me how dumb it is as an advertising policy!!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Auction auction auction.

I had £250 available for my first car and went to an auction.

Walked around looking at all the cars available that I thought would be in my price range, but I didn't want a metro or fiesta that everyone seemed to have. Then I caught sight of a beautiful, bright yellow VW Polo Coupe Sport on a B reg. My Dad laughed at me saying it was going to be rubbish, plus it was bright yellow! I fell in love with it and waited for it to go up for auction. When it did, I was really nervous, bidding against another guy... but won... for £90!

I had the car for years, even when I stopped driving it I kept it on my drive. I was always going to turn it into a track car. Unfortunately the missus made me sell it, as I hadn't even looked at it for two years. Sold it on eBay for £41. Charged the battery, and it started first time! Couldn't believe it. I wish I hadn't sold it.

Anyway, so the moral of the story is, if you're looking for a banger there's no harm in going to an auction.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm tempted by the auction route, I must say. Do they ever come with tax and insurance? I'm basically after a banger with as much tax and MOT as possible. If anything goes wrong with it, I'll just chuck it away.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm tempted by the auction route, I must say. Do they ever come with tax and insurance? I'm basically after a banger with as much tax and MOT as possible. If anything goes wrong with it, I'll just chuck it away.
i would have thought most would have some sort of tax and mot, although the really cheap ones might not have that much as the seller might be thinking the same as you...

i watch the used car roadshow and when they go to auction they often find cars with 6 months of tax and mot, or more

·
Registered
867 Posts
If I'm looking to buy a car for under £500, why would I be interested in spending up to £500 a month on a contract hire car?

It's really pointless having these ads as someone wanting a car for under £500 is not going to be in the market.
But if you use the website and put "lowest price first" it doesn't matter how big your budget is these always appear first on the list.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But if you use the website and put "lowest price first" it doesn't matter how big your budget is these always appear first on the list.
I realised that after I started this thread! It would be good if they could filter it out for cars under a grand though.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Found another annoying trend today......
Search for 5 series BMW estate.
Got a few results which weren't 5 series BMW estate.
Ad said "BMW sold, I've got a VW Passat for sale".
If I wanted a BMW 5 series estate, I'm hardly going to buy a s*dding passat saloon am I? Or a knackered old Ford Galaxy?
Donkeys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts