Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What annoying rubbish they are! Wipe when it's dry and don't wipe when you can barely see the lorry coming at you. Why would anyone give up control of this vital piece of safety equipment ?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
They kind of work on the 147.
Schite on the Brera.
Work perfectly on the Ewok.

But like auto lights are fundementally pointless.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Work perfectly on the Lexus, as you would imagine:wink:

The 159 wipers worked when it drizzled, didn't work when you overtook 40 tons of wagon and its spray.

Something I could live without.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I've gone from cars with auto wipers and lights to cars without. Don't miss them.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Mixed feelings about them. 159 is the first car I've owned with them on. A bit random to say the least as to whether they're going to function.

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
mine seem to be random-ish, but mostly they work well. If anything, they go hell for leather on silly "it's spitting" type rain :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I do like auto lights. With the auto wipers I'm not convinced I have a an intolerance of rain and if it wasn't wiped at the right time then it would drive me crazy!
Auto driving needs to come soon I'd love a good snooze before work

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
In a country where it rains as much as it does here, auto wipers are a boon provided they work properly and are calibrated. Neither GT nor EOS have them and I do miss it.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
They work ok most of the time on my Giulietta.

The auto headlights are a waste of time and are annoying though.

I am perfectly capable of telling when it is dark.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Worked fine on the Aero, but better on the Jaag.

Aero forgot they we in the ON position when you turned of the ignition off, so you had to turn it off then on again next time you started up, Jaag doesn't.

Jaag's are full auto, whereas the Aero's have a sensitivity switch (replacing the three intermittent settings) on the stalk. Which seem to be OFF (with the odd wipe) WIPE (every three seconds or so) on SQUEAL (full blast on a dry screen).

Still getting to grips with the Jaag's pull towards you for a flick wipe, which I still use for squirters, then realise they're on the button at the end of the stalk.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
I've got them on my Lexus here, but absolutely no idea if they work or not as it hasn't rained in years :biglaugh:

As for auto lights.... They are a God send when it comes to MrsDibnah's motor as she will leave lights on if she is able to and can destroy a battery in a day.

The real winners are the auto sensing full beam lights. I *loved* that on my 7 series when driving in a UK winter around Surrey/Sussex/Kent's unlit roads - and it was as reliable as a swiss watch.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Well, after two eye operations, and even before then, I can tell if it is dark and/or raining. I also have full control of my limbs, fingers and thumbs. So automatic wipers and lights are not high on my list of priorities.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Well, after two eye operations, and even before then, I can tell if it is dark and/or raining. I also have full control of my limbs, fingers and thumbs. So automatic wipers and lights are not high on my list of priorities.
But I bet you've "beamed someone out" before now. Everyone does it.

Unless you have a 7 series with auto-high beam control!

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Evoque has the JLR auto highbeam option available. #FFS

Have had autowipers activate due to a drop of water from a sprinkler
and then the blades drag grit across the glass. If it was my car I
could possible get annoyed about it. But it isn't so I shant.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
But isn't all this automation turn offable?

It is on my car!
Yes, on mine too.

Turn the light/wiper collar away from the AUTO detent.

I bet it's buried in an i-drive sub-sub-sub-menu of the lighting and screen sub-menu, on BMWs.

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
The number of Giulietta models without auto lights I've seen driving in the dark would suggest auto lights are a good idea when the instruments are permenantly lit. Wipers and lights that mean you don't have to use a ""plasticky" stalk must be good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts