Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, having just had my lovely '52 reg 147 selespeed written off after an idiot drove into the side and wrecked the steering rack, i need to find a replacement. with a budget of upto £2000 i need some opinions on replacement. is it a safer bet to go with manual, or stick with selespeed.living in london i found the selespeed very easy to use.that said i have had to replace a sensor and bypass a couple of connections in the wiring loom.the 'other half' thinks i should go with manual for the reliability, but then they don't do the driving!................any thoughts?

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
City=City, for laid back town driving imo. But having said that my missus decided on the torque converter type auto, but we never really had much of a problem with the sele in four years of ownership.:):

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sele both ways, great for being lazy in town and better for blasting the country roads.

when i get into the mrs manual 147 after driving my sele changing gear seems like such and effort, the sele feels slightly quicker too.

just gotta be prepared for the extra maintenance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. i have got to admit i do like the sele.the rental car the insurance co. have provided me with is manual and it just seems like hard work!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

Not driven a 147 Selespeed but have done a fair few miles in a 156 Selespeed.

Personally the threat of a large bill from the Selespeed is offputting (plus the higher cost of a new clutch and seemingly shorter lifespan of a clutch).

I like the idea of a Selespeed to drive, but tend to find them a bit underwhelming. The gear change just seems to take too long compared to getting it right with a manual change. Although some of that is likely to do with how it feels when you are just sitting waiting for it to change rather than actually doing something to change gear.

However one of the last times with the Selespeed I scared myself silly using City mode. Came up to a roundabout and saw a gap which should have been easy to get into even in 5th gear, so floored it. The car tried 5th gear decided that wasn't enough so tried 4th, then 3rd and finally 2nd before it finally went from slowing down to accelerating. By which time I was sitting barely moving sat in the middle of a roundabout.

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
However one of the last times with the Selespeed I scared myself silly using City mode. Came up to a roundabout and saw a gap which should have been easy to get into even in 5th gear, so floored it. The car tried 5th gear decided that wasn't enough so tried 4th, then 3rd and finally 2nd before it finally went from slowing down to accelerating. By which time I was sitting barely moving sat in the middle of a roundabout.
Most people learn very early on that you don't approach a roundabout in "City" mode...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Most people learn very early on that you don't approach a roundabout in "City" mode...
Aye, those who survive doing it once:lol:. With it reacting that slowly it makes city mode virtually useless.

Can't say I find using a clutch that much of a pain, but then I am not city bound.

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
293 Posts
Theres not a chance in hell i could beat a selespeed change at full chat, its mighty quick love em!

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Aye, those who survive doing it once:lol:. With it reacting that slowly it makes city mode virtually useless.
It is unfortunate that it is called "City" mode as it is next to useless in most busy towns or cities.

S

·
0 Posts
I'd buy another selespeed if I got the chance. The original clutch was doing fine in mine at 97thousand miles.

City mode is fine as long as you only ever take off from a full stop, or manually drop it into 1st going slowly. It's that huge hesitation from 2nd to 1st that's the scary bit.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Theres not a chance in hell i could beat a selespeed change at full chat, its mighty quick love em!
Difficult to tell. Certainly could with an upward change on a 33, but it does rather feel like you are sitting twiddling your thumbs for ages while the Selespeed changes up.

It is unfortunate that it is called "City" mode as it is next to useless in most busy towns or cities.
Especially as that is the main time I suspect many would want to full auto mode.

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seems like if you are an alfa driver you are definitely either in the pro or anti sele camp.david c as prolific poster i was surprised at your views.the 'city' mode has generally worked well for me in london, i also use it out of town.but i think everyone would agree there is always the 'FEAR' of failure lurking at the back of the mind. Thanks guys, tim

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
david c as prolific poster i was surprised at your views.the 'city' mode has generally worked well for me in london
In most of the Selespeed threads where people are asking advice I've usually made a point of mentioning the roundabout/junction issue, it is worst in "City" if you are slowly rolling up to a roundabout in 2nd but then floor the throttle to get into a gap, it will perform a very slow kick-down change to first and because of the low ratio of 1st will be screaming at high revs when the clutch does finally close. If you come to a standstill it before moving out, it will be in 1st so not an issue, it is just the rolling in 2nd (or higher) that cause issues.
But as I said, you soon learn how to use the system to best effect providing it is set up properly.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
My dearest as I said, decided on a fully auto system finally, but she never drove the sele in anything other than city which is what convinced her to stay with an auto.

However it is always left to me to reverse the jalopy into the garage! Almost re-arranged the brickwork with my big feet a few weeks ago! :(: :eek:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Seles are dirt cheap because of the bad press by people who don't appreciate the system.
If maintained properly , its a great system !

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Doesn't updating the software also help the selespeeds gear change?
I prefer a manual because I get to choose what gear when Pottering around.

I also like the feel of when pushing on doing heel toe. Makes me feel like a smoother driver.
I can understand of the pull those as flappy paddle gear shifts down country lanes would be great. Or on a track even better.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Alfa use a different system now and have done for some years.The concept was well advanced when first introduced around 1997 but so many things can go wrong and often do on older models, its not just the expense its also the sudden failure worry . I would not recomend one to anyone unless they were an Alfa enthusiast with a laptop and multiecuscan or had a family member in the motor trade.I must admit ive seen plenty of seles after having been told the actuator is playing up when its either a failing syncro (usually 3rd) or the clutch needs replacing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts