Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a thank you to my family for helping me out in a number of ways, we decided to take them out for a meal. This grew a bit and ended up with me, the boyfriend, my two sisters, two nieces and nephew so 9 in total.

It was great to catch up, in particular with my sister whom I don't see very often. However when the time came to pay the bill being a large amount I didn't have cash so I paid by card. When I have done this before you can either add a tip on the card machine or obviously leave a bit of cash. This time though the machine didn't ask, so I left a cash tip.

This morning though I looked at the receipt again and at the very bottom there is an automatic service charge for 8 or more people, so the *******s have had two tips :mad:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Go and ask for your money back :D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Claim it back from the credit card company, tell them it was an unauthorised amount added to the bill.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I would go back and complain, but then I guess they will say "you saw the bill and paid it" but i always think Automatic service charges are a bit cheeky, and normally only go to the Company, not the waiter/kitchen staff direct

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Seriously, have a go at them. How old were nephews & nieces?
I had a minor victory at a restaurant where they pulled a similar stunt but got it overturned as 2 of the party were kids. Some restaurants don't count weans.

But I agree, it is a licensed robbery.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Seriously, have a go at them. How old were nephews & nieces?
I had a minor victory at a restaurant where they pulled a similar stunt but got it overturned as 2 of the party were kids. Some restaurants don't count weans.

But I agree, it is a licensed robbery.

*Why has that posted twice?*

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
A discretionary charge of 10% will be added to all duplicate posts.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Having seen it before I've noticed a few restaurants charge a service fee for parties of 8 or more (occasionally they allow up to 12) so I won't tip further on principal. The better restaurants will at least put the service charge in a central pot for distribution amongst the whole team (which is easier than working out which waiters/waitresses did serve each drink and meal) but that does take away from if you had one person serving that you want to thank.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe I go out in larger groups more frequently, but generally when I do this service charge is flagged up on the menu and of course on the bill.

If it is flagged in advance and you've seen th bill before you've paid then you only have yourself to blame. IMO it would be extremely poor form to go back and ask for a refund, and I'd be surprised if they gave it.

Best to put this down to experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts