Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could do with some help here....!

I had a company do some online advertising for me last year and paid up front. They have automatically tried to renew the contract and are chasing payment. I needed to give them 60 days notice prior to the start of the renewal to cancel it (something I didn't see in the small t&c's :rolleyes:).

So how can I get out of it?

They didn't inform me prior to trying to take payment, so are there any rules regarding this?

Are there any statutory "cooling off" periods following renewal of contracts such as this?

The company has not delivered in my eyes what they promised and I do not wish to continue with the contract, which is worth about £800 for the next year.

The company in question has a bad reputation in on line reviews (should have read these first).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
I think the cooling off period applies when you first take out the contract. These auto renewals were being looked at by the Office of Fair Trading a while ago. They think these clauses should be considered unfair under the Unfair Contract Terms Act, you could try hitting them with that and see what they say ? :) If they want to test it in court it's up to them.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Totally wrong, but becoming more commonplace :tut:

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Not useful in your case, but I cancel any direct debits I have with a company when the last payment of the year/contract has been taken.

Insurance companies are good at putting your renewal quote on page one of their document, and then "and you need do nothing" type auto-renew phrase a couple of pages further in.

The concept of "contact us if you don't want our service" is very naughty.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments. I haven't paid it, but now at final demand stage, so tempted to see where it leads....

Does not help that I got really hacked off with them this morning and hung up on them... final demand arrived via email 5 mins later.

S

·
0 Posts
I hate these auto renewals so much that I avoid - if possible - any company that operates this way. I noticed my latest home insurance policy offered me the option to auto renew. However the default was No so they got the business. :thumbs:

Companies tend to say auto-renewal is provided as "a service to the customer". And most then make opting out difficult. Patronising winkers! ;)

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
and takes advantage of customer lethargy*.

i.e. your renewal quote is a couple of hundred quid more than it should be so you throw it away, not realising the auto-renew has to be cancelled, and you don't know until they've taken all/first payment from your account!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts