Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a year with the alfa I stilll can't fathom out the settings for the intermitent automatic wiper on my 159 2.4 lusso. Any choice of the 4 available settings seems to make no difference. I've checked that the screen in front of the rain sensor is tip top clean, no smear or grease and it's OK. sometimes the wipe is fast, sometimes slow, independent of amount of rain!

Has anyone any advice about what the 4 "sensitivity" settings on the wiper arm roller switch actually affects? It appears to make no impact on length of time between sweeps, speed of sweep or how much rain on the screen is needed to activate the wipers..- or perhaps I have the option where the roller switch is just something to fiddle with!!

any experience appreciated

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep, I've also come to the conclusion that moving the rocker switch has no affect on the sensitivity. I do use it though to make the wipers swipe once if the auto has waited too long and I'm having difficulty see out. That seems to be the only use, nudging it up one notch makes it wipe the windows once. It does not seem to make it wipe more frequently.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yep, I've also come to the conclusion that moving the rocker switch has no affect on the sensitivity. I do use it though to make the wipers swipe once if the auto has waited too long and I'm having difficulty see out. That seems to be the only use, nudging it up one notch makes it wipe the windows once. It does not seem to make it wipe more frequently.

I agree, same for me too!

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
For whats its worth i dont have any issues with my auto wipers. I find decent wiper blades are a must or the system develops a mind of its own.
Least sensitive setting is at the bottom click closest the floor which i find ok in most scenarios... Only time i need to increase sensitivity is on a soaked motorway which produces heavy spray.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i find them to be the work of satan himself. there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to the way they work, and they only seem to work in proper rain. show them a bit of drizzle and they just lose the plot altogether. and as for after dark, well the less said about that the better. shite, ill engineered, ill thought out system. i'd love to have it removed altogether

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I am certain that on my car the sensitivity switch definitely controlled the frequency of wipes and the intensity of rain required to trigger them .............. and all of them wildly wrong!

The worst implementation of auto wipers anywhere in the car industry. Its a feature.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As above. Fantastically bad. They seem to work in inverse proportion to the amount of rain either scraping loudly and repeatedly across a dry screen, or welded firmly in the park position under what seems like a waterfall.Wish I could take them out and just have manualy set intermitent intervals.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another strong negative vote here. Absolutely hate them - utter rubbish. Surely it must be possible to disable them somehow and use the rocker as a variable intermittent???

·
Registered
733 Posts
The worst implementation of auto wipers anywhere in the car industry.

Not too sure about that, I swapped my much loved 159 for a Mercedes C Class coupé a few months ago, about the only feature of my Alfa I was glad to see the back of were those hopeless rain-insensitive wipers. At first, the same feature on my MB was very impressive, worked absolutely perfectly all the time, but in the last couple of weeks they've started behaving like Alfa ones, occasionally going mad and speeding up for no apparent reason. This car is so fiendishly complicated that I might be able to remedy this by reading the 400+ page handbook, but does any manufacturer offering this feature produce something that works perfectly all the time?

·
Registered
100 Posts
As the above - mine (57 plate lusso) have a child-like mischievousness about them. I'd rather have manually adjusted speed (as with the 156 that I had). I've taken the same approach on the 159 as I have on my old TR7.... sod the wipers and use Rain-X or similar:rolleyes:

I think the same can be said for the auto lights as well.... no matter what sensitivity I have them on going under the M1 at Catthorpe will always switch the blessed things on (numerous other bridges too).

·
Registered
924 Posts
Agree with all the responses. It's probably the worst designed auto-wipe ever! I bet its just some poorly developed algorithm embedded in the system which produces random wipes, totally oblivious to the actual rain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only other car I have had auto-wipers on was my Pug 406 Coupe. They worked quite well on that, so I was pleased to see that I had them again, along with auto-lights, on the 159. Needless to say, I now never use auto-lights and rarely use auto-wipers. They are insane haha.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
On my previous Lusso, I'd have to agree with the majority above - completely random in operation. However, on the Ti they work perfectly most of the time with only the occasional 'mad moment'. Having said that, the system on the Giulietta works perfectly 100% of the time, and there is a manual intermittent setting too. So it seems that Alfa can get it right when they put their minds to it, :rolleyes: :D.

A

·
0 Posts
Yep, I agree too! They are utter pants:vomit:.

I don't like Lusso (or any high specced cars) all that much. Give me nice manual wipers and Alfatex, velour, or cloth seats back please:cry:.

In many respects I just wished I got a Turismo but then I'd have castors for wheels and no Blue & Me:(.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not sure what the problem is guys. I have worked out the positions on the switch:

1: Useless
2: Slightly more useless than 1, but a little more random
3: Constant squeak sweep, unless its raining when it stops.
4: Fast enough to induce a crack in the fabric of time and allow you to reach your destination quicker. Unless its raining.

Its all in the manual

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The real question here is how often you change your wiper blades and in what conditions are they?
I noticed that with new blades the system works perfectly, probably because the wiper doesn't leave a film of water on the windscreen, fooling the rain sensor. Considering the use of it we make here in the UK, I would recommend changing them every year/year and a half.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
mmmh that's odd, I changed mine twice already and I can defo tell the difference.
It would be interesting to know how the rain sensor works in detail.
EDIT: it's an infrared sensor, so again I wonder if a dirty oil film on the windscreen might cause its malfunction?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts