1 - 20 of 27 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG!

The first dry(ish) day this week. Just had lunch with a mate
and after talking cars a bit we leave the restaurant car park
for a bit of a spirited chase up the "Route Du Park".

This is the first rag I've had in the 159 now it has 3K km
on it and I went for it. Brilliant! Performance wise the car is
just what I wanted. :D:D:D:D

The Route Du Park is a winding dual carriage way run
through Sophia Antipolis with a wide forested reservation.
Nice little blat. :cool:

But what's this? I brake aggressively to take my turn off
and the bloody hazard start furiously flashing like
some demented paperazzo. :mad:

What THE **** do they think they are doing adding this
feature?

The embarrassment is excruciating. My mate was ringing me up
and having a good old laugh at my expense! :eek::eek::eek:

Gaaaaaahhh!!!

Can it be turned off?
:confused:

(Should this really be in the rant room?)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Nev. There are other threads around here complaining about the same issue so unfortunately, you will have to live with this very Italian "feature". Not sure if anyone has come up with a solution....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I know that road well Nev:cool:

Sorry but you cannot switch the feature off:(

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't blame the Italians!

Automatic hazards were first introduced I believe by Citroen (C5) and Peugeot and have quickly spread to other European manufacturers. BMW/VW/Mercedes/Volvo?Renault/Nissan etc etc all have systems. It was added to the 159 for MY2008 onwards.

You can always stop it happening by not braking so hard! It is triggered by the ABS system kicking in, or an accelerometer.

It can't be turned off to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know just how you feel m8 :( i believe its to get extra points from euro ncap tests :rolleyes:

Since my Spider went back and had its battery replaced the hazards come on a lot more easily than it used to maybe it had a update of some kind while it was i there ??? now (weather permitting) a spirited drive means i get lots of funnny looks from other drivers as i twinkle like a Christmas tree :(

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't blame the Italians!

Automatic hazards were first introduced I believe by Citroen (C5) and Peugeot and have quickly spread to other European manufacturers. BMW/VW/Mercedes/Volvo?Renault/Nissan etc etc all have systems. It was added to the 159 for MY2008 onwards.

You can always stop it happening by not braking so hard! It is triggered by the ABS system kicking in, or an accelerometer.

It can't be turned off to the best of my knowledge.
Never happened to me, I musn't be trying hard enough ..... :eek:

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
what model year was this feature fitted to 159s?? not noticed it on my 06---------- maybe not trying hard enough!!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it wasn't on my 06 Brera.

What a poo feature.

It triggered again today when I glimpsed some coppers FFS!

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Sometimes, just sometimes, I'm glad I drive a series 1.

The boot release I am green with envy, the auto hazard flashers.....naahhhh:lol:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The auto-hazards are put on the specification purely and simply as a "wuss meter." There is an exclusive club forming with the slogan ................

"If they ain't lighting, you ain't been tryin' "

If it prevents someone ramming the bootlid then its all been worthwhile, and like daylight running lights, its something we all have to get used to in this nannying world of ours :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay more testing today on the same stretch or road.

It only seems to do it if the steering is not centred.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I remember when taking a MiTo turbo for a test drive when it was launched and having the hazzards go off on the aproach to every roundabout was getting really embarassing (yes, I really thrashed the pants out of it). Weird thing is that later when I took the Alfa MiTo presentation cars around a circuit, they did not flash once. Either I was not trying hard enough or I am inclined to think they may have removed the feature for the day. There must be a way of doing it especially if it is an ECU controlled thing. It definately comes on before the ABS kicks in though as it will do it hard braking at speed prior to any grip problems.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay more testing today on the same stretch or road.

It only seems to do it if the steering is not centred.
That suggests that its the yaw sensor that is activating it - part of the VDC system. But under the "right" circumstances the hazards will kick-in during straight line braking as well - probably just a higher threshold.

Must try harder! :lol:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,720 Posts
i prefer Volvo's system that makes the rear brake lights pulsate rapidly when the ABS kicks in. I think that's a much more sensible system. The only person at risk from your hard braking is the person behind. Plus, depending on what angle they're facing, other road users might (and it's a slight 'might', for sure) might only see one side of your hazards flashing, and interpret this as an intention to turn and make a decision based on that 'signal'.

While i agree it makes sense to use a system that warns others of heavy braking (which itself possibly warns of a danger ahead) I just don't think the Fiat/Alfa system is as well considered as say Volvo's.

Just my tuppence :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts