Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
The guy in the vid did it by replacing the struts with special ordered stronger ones measured to fit in place of the original ones, with a shock absorber at the end to make it pop softer when the lock is released.

However, he also mentioned that the struts weakened as time went by. His boot would be closed for a week, then by the time he'd pop the trunk open, the lid would not lift itself, and he'd have to push it up to get it to work again. The lid of the 159 is on the heavier side.

I have stronger struts mounted on my Gtv, pops the trunk right open every time I unlock the boot. The lid on a Gtv is lighter though.

All in all, it isn't rocket science, it's all about the compression on the struts whilst the boot catch is in locked position.
How would.i go about buying the struts. Cause I can't find them.online for Alfa 159?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Gas strut manufacturers offer various forces for the same dimensions. You just need to find out what is written on your spring and get something more powerful.

Or you can order some custom made struts with any diameter, length, stroke, force, etc.

Stabilus is the main manufacturers and suppliers, have a look:

·
Registered
AR159 SW 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Ti
45 Posts
I have a face-lift SW Ti with Sunroof, and I have both button on the roof console and badge on the boot...

Would like to make auto open/close though...

·
Registered
Brera TBi
166 Posts
FYI just fitted this mod to my Brera. There was a guy selling them the the Brera worldwide Facebook forum and also eBay.

It uses a small helper spring and slightly stiffer shocks. Opens smoothly and can be closed with one hand and a firm push.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Yeah..I can see it working witha Brera...the struts are at a much better angle for the job...unlike the 159.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI just fitted this mod to my Brera. There was a guy selling them the the Brera worldwide Facebook forum and also eBay.

It uses a small helper spring and slightly stiffer shocks. Opens smoothly and can be closed with one hand and a firm push.
@richardw1992, sounds good. Any idea what force the struts are, do they have any numbers on them? I believe standard is 350N. Also, what length are the springs that they have provided as part of the kit?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts