·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I cant say for sure but i would think you just need to upgrade the pneumatic/gas struts already fitted to some with a higher spring pressure.

For example

8mm rod 60mm stroke gas strut - GSV8-60

check the length and end fittings you need and away you go.
from the research i have done(which is limited) its not just a case of doing that as the initial lift has to be provide by extra springs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Youtube "Auto boot mod"
there are a number of videos showing a modification where a high tension spring is placed inside the existing strut. Super cheap and apparently effective!
There are a couple of video guide on youtube too!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Youtube "Auto boot mod"
there are a number of videos showing a modification where a high tension sping is place inside the existing strut. Super cheap and apparently effective!
There are a couple of video guide on youtube too!
You tube is amazing, I swear you could do brain surgery from there.

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
This seems a right oversight on Alfas part that the boot cant be opened other than by key! :(
Hadn't looked at that before on the 159 and thought it bizarre.... so went to read the manuals...
Looks like pre facelift had an internal boot release button on the roof light.

There is also the boot release by pressing the badge on the boot.
So it isn't just the button on the key.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hadn't looked at that before on the 159 and thought it bizarre.... so went to read the manuals...

mine only opens via the fob

·
Registered
30,087 Posts

mine only opens via the fob
I that case, yours is either broken or has been turned off via the setup menu on the dash.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Maybe it's just me but on occasion I've come out to the car and the boot is open. I assuming I hit the boot release in my pocket. At least now it's hardly noticeable, not sure I'd be happy if heading up to bed I accidentally opened the boot and it pops wide open. And is open all night long.

·
Registered
625 Posts
personally, think that the owner of that 159 has modified the mounting positions of the gas absorber such that it's "intermediate top of the hill" position does not exist any more

let me explain: normally those gas absorbers and the door kinematics is done such that, when opening the door, in very first part of opening sequence (lets simplify: call it opening angle) gas absorber creates push/pull force, which, together with the rest of the door mechanism tends to keep the door closed (this is safety feature). once certain "angle" position achieved, the kinematics is at the "top of the hill", meaning that it is ambivalent will it go to one or other side. if one continues increasing the "angle" (which we normally do when operating the door) gas absorber & kinematic mechanism passes "over the hill" and enables full extraction/compression.

so, in order to have gas absorber acting only one way, its attaching point either on the car, or the door has to be changed (if you are playing only with gas absorber (meaning keeping the same forces but altering the kinematic mechanism). alternative is to apply additional force somewhere else on mechanism.

try to get in contact with the owner of the YouTube video (in Croatia, according to the register plates) and ask him for details

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello guys, wanna get this thread going again and see if anyone managed to actually complete this mod and I'm quite desperate to get this one on my car.

I think it's a case of powerful springs and therefore once the lock is released (via key, interior button etc) then there will be nothing holding it down. Leaving the springs forcing it up. Giving the effect and actually opening upon button press.

Need to know where I can buy the springs then I'll change them??

Thanks

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I can't see...given the angle of the current gas struts (there are no "springs").......that it would ever open fully no matter how strong the replacement struts were. They just operate at the wrong angle to do that. I think for that to work you would need not only stronger struts but mounted at a different angle and with some spring assistance. If it can be made to work at the current angles I think you would need to be built like Arnie to shut it again!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't see...given the angle of the current gas struts (there are no "springs").......that it would ever open fully no matter how strong the replacement struts were. They just operate at the wrong angle to do that. I think for that to work you would need not only stronger struts but mounted at a different angle and with some spring assistance. If it can be made to work at the current angles I think you would need to be built like Arnie to shut it again!
Yeah your right that's a really good point. How did the guy in the YouTube video do it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The guy in the vid did it by replacing the struts with special ordered stronger ones measured to fit in place of the original ones, with a shock absorber at the end to make it pop softer when the lock is released.

However, he also mentioned that the struts weakened as time went by. His boot would be closed for a week, then by the time he'd pop the trunk open, the lid would not lift itself, and he'd have to push it up to get it to work again. The lid of the 159 is on the heavier side.

I have stronger struts mounted on my Gtv, pops the trunk right open every time I unlock the boot. The lid on a Gtv is lighter though.

All in all, it isn't rocket science, it's all about the compression on the struts whilst the boot catch is in locked position.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts