Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that know Joss on here I am sure you are aware of his great plans for his GTA which is known amongst the GTA community as ‘Smoky Joe’ and we can thank Ned for that nickname!

This is going to be a great project although it is going to take some time so this thread will be updated as and when things progress.

Plans for this project are as follows;

Full front end facelift using Crosswagon front wings and facelift Xenon headlamps
Complete engine rebuild - more or less standard spec. Possibly ported and polished heads and lightened and balanced bottom end. TBC
KW’s to be removed and returned to the factory for re-valving
Lots and lots of nice shiny new parts along the way!

The engine has covered over 140k and some of those miles have been VERY hard including a few ‘Ring trips and number of blasts across Europe and also quite a few track days. All in all she has done very well and has earned a lot of TLC!

It got to the point where it was using a lot of oil hence the name Smoky Joe! First thing we did before removing the engine was carry out a compression test to see what the results were just as a point of interest and the results were as follows

No 1 – 190psi
No 2 – 88psi
No 3 – 110psi
No 4 – 190psi
No 5 – 200psi
No 6 – 200psi

As you can clearly see cylinders 2 and 3 are very poor and I assume this is due to piston ring wear and is probably where all the oil is going. Bear in mind though the engine was still running OK and pulled extremely well – just a little smoky!!

Here are a few pics to get you going

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Hello all. I know you have been waiting a ling time. Well it's finally here. Smokey Joe 2.0 :thumbs: so to answer the questions asked.
@ slicer. Biggest headache was getting hold of crosswagon wings. One side is NLA. I have a spare too.
@ 4m more green is on the way...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hello all. I know you have been waiting a ling time. Well it's finally here. Smokey Joe 2.0 :thumbs: so to answer the questions asked.
@ slicer. Biggest headache was getting hold of crosswagon wings. One side is NLA. I have a spare too.
@ 4m more green is on the way...
The finished product will belong a little bit to all of us! I even called my garage if they had any crosswagon wings when you were looking for them :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Forum co-op at its finest :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
facelift GTA :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I am offended by his black inlet pipes! :tut:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
C0Q :p

I'm offended by you. Generally :p ;)
This is the kind of school yard banter that will get this thread closed. ;)

I look forward to seeing your car come together (with or without shiny chrome bits).

1 - 20 of 241 Posts