Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We in Alfa world all know about the issues with GTA ECU failing and the new ones are no longer available and used ones are getting incredibly hard to come by

If we have a used one we can reprogram it to fit any of the V6 Alfa's with the ME7.3.1 ECU, 147 GTA,156 GTA, GT3.2, GTV 3.2 .

We think it was time we came us with a solution to this and now we have

My 156 GTA now has a full stand alone after market Link ECU set up and we now have an ECU kit available. This kit will fit any of the above mentioned cars although we have not done one yet for the GTV 3.2 but if it is required it will be possible

The kit comprise of

Link ECU
Cam bus controller
2 ignition igniters
USB dongle with wiring diagrams and installation photos

On the dongle is also a full OBD diagnostics package

The ECU will come fully programed for the specific car it is going on and mapped. On the map we will be supplying we will have mapped them to increase performance by around 20 BHP. We can carry out custom mapping on our dyno if the cars are modified

The map will be locked on the ECU to prevent them being tampered with, they can be unlock for an additional charge and a signed disclaimer as it would be very easy for some one to make a horrible mistake messing around with it

With our ECU kit all the normal functions on the car work as they should, traction control, ABS, cruise control, remote locking etc etc

It is also possible to add launch control but this will be an addition later on down the line. It will also be possible to add things like finger print recognition, remote start, timed start etc etc

The kit is £1,800 + VAT it does need wiring in but comes fully programed and set up

If you guys have any question please feel free to ask

Ned

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I am sure that the hardware is of excellent manufacture, as is the research that has gone into this, but 1800 pounds is a lot of money. Its nearly 1/3rd of the price of the car, and three times the price of the existing (though rare, as you say) ECU.

Great idea, but ... auch!

Reactions: ArieB

·
Vendor
46,639 Posts
I am sure that the hardware is of excellent manufacture, as is the research that has gone into this, but 1800 pounds is a lot of money. Its nearly 1/3rd of the price of the car, and three times the price of the existing (though rare, as you say) ECU.

New ECUs are no longer available, out of stock & out of production. I sold my last used one for a grand..

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It is quite a bit of cash but what are your options if your ECU fails?

I have had customers that have had GTA's sitting in garages for 6 months looking for an ECU

What is your car worth as a none runner? Breaker?

Ned

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is quite a bit of cash but what are your options if your ECU fails?

I have had customers that have had GTA's sitting in garages for 6 months looking for an ECU

What is your car worth as a none runner? Breaker?

Ned
Does that price include fitting?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Even so, I would still like to have it.
On the other hand, I would break my leg before I successfully perform heel-and-toe in 166. Brake pedal is positioned way to high for that, and I cannot do it. Smaller foot/shoes might help, but I doubt it.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that price include fitting?
No this is a kit, it needs wiring in

Obviously we can do it in our work shop but this item is aimed at more for an international audience as as we get lots of enquiries from all over the world for ECU's

Ned

·
Registered
498 Posts
So long as this is a robust and reliable fix long term then this is great news really. Expensive, but could save many 3.2's from ultimatley being broken over time.
I suppose it would add value to the car though, much like cars already fitted with a new ECU like mine, so it's not all lost money....
Just keep telling yourself it's only 6 months 'depreciation payments' on a 320d.
Bit sick if you were parked up for 6 months though, not wanting to shell out for a new Gus ECU and hoping for a cheap second hand one or cheap fix solution. I suppose you could still wait for a second hand one to save money, but I would imagine this would pack up in the end.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So long as this is a robust and reliable fix long term then this is great news really. Expensive, but could save many 3.2's from ultimatley being broken over time.
I suppose it would add value to the car though, much like cars already fitted with a new ECU like mine, so it's not all lost money....
Just keep telling yourself it's only 6 months 'depreciation payments' on a 320d.
Bit sick if you were parked up for 6 months though, not wanting to shell out for a new Gus ECU and hoping for a cheap second hand one or cheap fix solution. I suppose you could still wait for a second hand one to save money, but I would imagine this would pack up in the end.
Yes the is a robust long term fix

Alternately a customer could replace their working ECU with this kit and sell their ECU to offset some of the costs. If we are supplying a kit based on this we will reprogram the second hand ECU to go on another car FOC

Ultimately all of these GTA / 3.2 ME7.3.1 ECU's are going to fail so a solution is a must to keep these cars on the road

Ned

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Good work - and a relief to know there is a solution out there.

Reactions: Autolusso

·
Registered
376 Posts
Top work. Good to know there is a solution available when the time comes. I'd prefer this to a second hand unit.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Top work. Good to know there is a solution available when the time comes. I'd prefer this to a second hand unit.
Yes it is a better option for long term owners like yourself, you know a used one is just going to let you down again, this is also much more versatile

How is that engine of yours??

Ned

·
Vendor
46,639 Posts
Also interested. What are the warning signs / symptoms of a failing ecu?
Flickering engine light when you turn the ignition on, throttlebody clicking in time with it. Engine won't start unless throttlebody unplugged.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also interested. What are the warning signs / symptoms of a failing ecu?
You don't get a warning as such, go to it one day and try and start it and the code light stays on and it will crank but not start. Unplug the cars throttle body and they start but you can't rev it

It is always the same issue, they can be fixed sometimes but don't stay fixed generally

Ned

1 - 20 of 85 Posts