Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow GTA owners

We all know the pain of the alternators failing on these car and what a horrendous job they are to replace

Recently I managed to track down 3 new Bosch ones before that we have been fitting Lucas units and they have been failing. One of my customers has had 3 alternators in 5 years

I am trying to gage interest here as we have come up with a solution but it is expensive

The unit is:

"With regards to a more powerful and reliable replacement, we can offer a 175A new OE Denso based unit which will directly replace the Bosch unit (same pulley / mounting positions / pin-outs etc) and it will have a full CNC'd billet case so it will be similar in design to a unit such as the LMA337"

These are not going have to work as hard as the standard unit and are much more resistant to heat

These are going to retail at £664.20 + VAT which is a lot

Would any of you be interested?

Ned

·
Administrator
45,291 Posts
Mine failed in 2008 at the top of the Stelvio Pass!

Actually that's not quite true. It failed the previous day at Lake Como, but it was at the top of the pass that I realised this, as that's when everything died. Thankfully I'd completed the awesome drive up the pass before it went kaput, and even more thankfully there was a Fiat / Alfa garage right at the bottom of the other side of the pass and we were up and running again 1 day later.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine failed in 2008 at the top of the Stelvio Pass!
Alternator failure Top Trumps: mine went on the M4 in Newport. Erm, you win that round, Bazza.

Ned, I expect we'd all be interested when ours fail and that's the only solution. How much is a standard replacement?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alternator failure Top Trumps: mine went on the M4 in Newport. Erm, you win that round, Bazza.

Ned, I expect we'd all be interested when ours fail and that's the only solution. How much is a standard replacement?
That's the point you can't buy standard ones any more

Ned

·
Registered
275 Posts
Morning guys

Sorry to deviate from the topic slightly, my GTA is going in for a cambelt change shortly, and while the engine is out I plan to get the alternator overhauled as it's nearly 14 years old and never been touched.

Is there anything specific that should be looked at or replaced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts