Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What products would you use in conjuction and which ones should not be used together?

Im looking at starting and getting a stockpile of all the necessary stuff. What would i be best not to buy.

I have a black car so was looking at the ultra deep shine - now do i still need to super resin polish, extra gloss protection and other stuff or is it instead of those?

I have watched the videos on youtube and now feel like i want/need all of it. lol

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I found that super resin got rid of fine scratches the ultra deep shine then made the dark green very 'deep' and extra gloss protection preserved the shine

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that super resin got rid of fine scratches the ultra deep shine then made the dark green very 'deep' and extra gloss protection preserved the shine
so i could use all 3? i thought the gloss protection would be fine but i assumed the other 2 were one or the other?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Polishes like SRP are mostly filler, i.e. it fills in the scratches rather than removing them like a proper polisher would. Water soon washes unprotected filler away, so you need a wax or sealant on top of it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Leave the autoglym on the shelf and get some poorboys products

Try blakhole sun and nattys blue wax

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Polishes like SRP are mostly filler, i.e. it fills in the scratches rather than removing them like a proper polisher would. Water soon washes unprotected filler away, so you need a wax or sealant on top of it.
Im new to all of this, what sort of order would i do everything in?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Rinse, wash, rinse, dry, polish, wax.

Get two buckets, two grit guards, a drying towel and a lambswool mitt (try CleanYourCar for everything) so that you stop putting any more swirls on it.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rinse, wash, rinse, dry, polish, wax.

Get two buckets, two grit guards, a drying towel and a lambswool mitt (try CleanYourCar for everything) so that you stop putting any more swirls on it.
Ok so i would go, Wet - Shampoo - Rinse - Dry - Clay - High def cleanser - Super resin - Ultra deep shine - Extra gloss protection - HD wax.

Obviously wheels, interior and engine bay before the bodywork.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Sounds good, with the one exception that I think EGP isn't needed if you're using HD wax. That's basically what I used to do.

Personally I no longer bother - I pressure wash it, quick once over with a mitt, and every so often use a DA polisher with a two phase polish and wax system. Cost a lot up front but much quicker and less chemical.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Also probably obvious but once you've done what you say above, the wax will last for months so you only shampoo, rinse and dry it during that time.

Cleanser, polish etc all takes the wax back off so you only do that section infrequently.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh that was the plan, that was gonna be my first wash. Then after that use a much more basic wash routine.

Was considering getting the aqua wax to use as a top up during non "proper" washing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Not used UDS but my understanding is it is similar to SRP with higher level of fillers. SRP is such a nice product to use I would simply go SRP-EGP or SRP-HD Wax, following the cleaning section. Use the paint cleaner a couple of times a year before SRP and your paint should remain looking good and protected.

As with many things, you can make detailing as simple or complex as you wish, complex is not always better.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
^^^^ what he said.
i use aquawax after a wash then dry.

·
Administrator
87,301 Posts
Ok so i would go, Wet - Shampoo - Rinse - Dry - Clay - High def cleanser - Super resin - Ultra deep shine - Extra gloss protection - HD wax.

Obviously wheels, interior and engine bay before the bodywork.

If you are going to clay the car I'd suggest you de-tar it first. It'll reduce the contamination to the clay bar, reduce the chance of scratches & it'll make claying easier & faster.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are going to clay the car I'd suggest you de-tar it first. It'll reduce the contamination to the clay bar, reduce the chance of scratches & it'll make claying easier & faster.
Yay another step lol :cry:

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that work? never heard of anyone doing that before.
Cant imagine it would, your technically polishing before you've cleaned it, combining them surely wont make any difference?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Leave the autoglym on the shelf and get some poorboys products

Try blakhole sun and nattys blue wax
Don't agree with that.

BH is a good product for sure but nattys doesn't last long at all and is streaky on Red Alfa's.

New SRP is a brilliant product. I use it or BH then top with HD or Liquid Hardwax (EGP). Both last for ages.

Simoniz liquid wax is good too. Super easy to use but not that long lasting.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts