Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon

I like the look of the Autoglym polar blast system, but is it any good?? and could i use a normal polish as well, say every three months or is it good enough on its own???

Any feedback would be appreciated, ta bob

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've just ordered some to try, I was using Bilt Hamber snow foam before so thought I'd try this one.

I would think you want to wax, not polish. Wax is to get shiny and seal, polish is abrasive for removal of paint swirls etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’ve got some but I found it a bit “meh”. My lance is rubbish though as I’ve got a hozelock pressure washer. Want to try the bilt Hamber autofoam stuff as that’s supposed to be best for actually removing grime.

As you’re asking about polishing etc, the foam would be used as a pre-wash.

Then normal wash with shampoo and then use whatever “LSP” (last stage product) you choose. This could be a wax, sealant, etc. I believe there’s a spray over sealant type thing in the polar blast range if that’s what you wanted to stick to but I don’t know if it’s any good.

Run your finger lightly over the paint. If it feels like glass the above is fine. If it feels like sandpaper you want to clay the car using a QD spray after washing.Then polish. Then wax/seal/coat using whatever you choose.

You might also choose to polish it if you see fine scratches or swirls in the paint.

Whenever you polish it you should always wipe down with IPA/panel wipe to remove the polishing oils and protect the paint with something afterward though.

This is a brief summary and definitely a “can of worms” you may/may not want to open, but just gives you an idea of where I would see the foam fitting into a wash routine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, as the car is new it has no swirls etc. Just thought the polar system looks easy to use and gives good results for not a lot of effort!

There is a polar seal so have asked them its a wax or polish

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for that, as the car is new it has no swirls etc. Just thought the polar system looks easy to use and gives good results for not a lot of effort!

There is a polar seal so have asked them its a wax or polish
Got you.

The polar seal is your LSP, effectively a spray on sealant/wax.

I’m sceptical about touch less washes but in theory if you used the full range of snowfoam, rinse, shampoo as normal, rinse, seal then in theory that could well work very well on a new car, especially in summer, if you washed it regularly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thats the plan! Might then do a 'proper waxing' 4 times a yr?
My wax (Collinite 915) lasts up to 6 months, expensive but easy to use and gives a nice shine (used it on my Nero 159 and now my Misano Giulia). I usually apply about 6 coats a year, but I enjoy detailing my car, I find it very relaxing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Autoglym say its nether a polish or wax but a sealant, getting more confused and now not sure what to do??

Buy it and then wax every few months or use my usual method but add wax to it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Karl, was.really.surprised by how many makes and types there are and almost every test has a different winner!!! Was going to try bilt hamber double wax but not sure about the ag polar stuff to use inbetween waxing

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sealant is effectively a chemical version of what a wax does.

Wax uses Carnuba, sealant typically uses polymers. Both provide a layer of “something” between your paint and the elements.

The polar stuff won’t last particularly long, but is a good monthly/fortnightly/weekly top up between a “proper” wax/sealant every 6 months. (For me: pre winter and post winter October/March)

Wax should last 6 months+ IF you prep the paint for it first. The bilt Hamber one you mentioned is an excellent no-nonsense wax and I highly recommend it.

There’s no point waxing a car if you don’t prep it as it won’t bond to the paint properly if the surface has contaminants on it and won’t last as long. This is a proper black hole area but most people wash, spray a “fallout remover“ over the car, rinse, clay it using a clay bar, wash again, polish if needed and finally wax. It’s a proper full day job.

You’ll be amazed what comes off a supposedly clean car when you clay it.

If you just chuck a wax on without doing this you’re grinding the contaminants into the paint when applying and buffing the wax, causing scratches. You’re also sealing in those contaminants making them harder to remove later.

If you learn to enjoy it it can be incredibly therapeutic.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the full works on my last Giuila and yes a day, knackered but it looked the dogs!!!

As this one is new i am not sure if i should do the full hit in 6 months or next July??

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure wether to get the polar system or a pro kleen lance and bilt hamber foam, choices, choices lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
Not sure wether to get the polar system or a pro kleen lance and bilt hamber foam, choices, choices lol
So I've got the pro kleen lance for my Kacher and was using Bilt Hamber. Produced very good results, it doesn't stick like some other, but it does get the grime off.

I've gone for Polar Blast this time just try something different. Bilt Hamber was actually more cost effective at 5l for £17 where as Polar Blast is 2.5l for £15.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts