Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

The Autodelta tuning box has various settings with setting 6 or 7 recommended for daily driving.
2 questions. 1, what would the likely adverse affects of setting to 8 or 9? And secondly, how do you change the settings?:tut::D:D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Slide the box open, reveal the electronic gubbins, use a small flat head driver and turn the dial down one notch at a time.

Mine goes from 1 to 11... ;)

(j/k :lol: )

BTW There's a risk of overfuelling, DPF clogging/saturation if turned up too high for too long.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over fuelling the overfuelling? :)
What are the symptons btw? black smoke as you put your foot down?
Have had that since mod 1 and 2, bit embarrassing leaving people in a fog. :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I bumped the dial up to 9 don't leave people in a fog of black smoke any more, but I also don't feel any gain.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why? rolling road figures look comparable and the warranty is important to me.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
What are the symptons btw? black smoke as you put your foot down?
Have had that since mod 1 and 2, bit embarrassing leaving people in a fog.
Smoke is bad... not only because it is embarising. ;)
After a proper remap your car will not smoke.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Why not just take it back to Mangos and let them have a look at it? John is a friendly enough guy I'm sure he'll sort you out.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Who are you and what have you done with Chris? :cheese:
Why not just take it back to Mangos and let them have a look at it? John is a friendly enough guy, as long as you agree with the way he tunes cars and make sure that whenever he posts on the forum you say "Yes John" ... I'm sure he'll sort you out.

that better??? :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks Chris, thought you were losing your touch.

Hi NCO it is quite normal to have more smoke from the exhaust after tuning / box / remap, but it should be within acceptable levels. If you are making fog there is clearly an issue with the engine or the modifications done to your car. Please call me to arrange a convenient time to inspect and diagnose your fault. As always I am as keen as you to rectify this issue ASAP. Modifications of any kind are there to improve the performance of your vehicle and your enjoyment of the vehicle. If this is not the case there is something clearly wrong. I await your call and hope this can be resolved ASAP.
All the best John.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

Hi NCO it is quite normal to have more smoke from the exhaust after tuning / box / remap, but it should be within acceptable levels. If you are making fog there is clearly an issue with the engine or the modifications done to your car. Please call me to arrange a convenient time to inspect and diagnose your fault. As always I am as keen as you to rectify this issue ASAP. Modifications of any kind are there to improve the performance of your vehicle and your enjoyment of the vehicle. If this is not the case there is something clearly wrong. I await your call and hope this can be resolved ASAP.
All the best John.
Yes John ;)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Lol class banter

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
John what do these boxes do, are they better than just fuel and boost pressure?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
It's a serious question, I've had tuning boxes, not the really cheap ones but not the same cost as a autodelta or pbox etc... Mine was a digital box, with adjustments to fuel and air etc... Clogged my egr up loads.

I've been considering the boost mod and box from mangos, but wanted to know the difference.

If ya want 2 pm that's fine :)

Cheers
Tom

J

·
0 Posts
No that is exactly what they do, no more no less.
If you want a different system the option is a more expensive box that changes the injection duration
rather than the pressure. A remap can also change pressure just internally rather than externally.
Lets say target from ecu is 300 at 1000 rpm. The box fools the ecu to think it is just for instance 250. ECU regulates the pressure to compensate. i.e real pressure of 350. But if you change target in the ecu to 350 at 1000 the result is the same. Ecu reacts to information, and you can give it incorrect infomation or change what it wants to see - same result.
There are a lot of parameters that can be changed.
A remap is a lot more substantial but cannot be transferred from vehicle to vehicle. The tuning box, whoever the manufacturer, is transferrable and can be removed at any time by the customer at their leisure without any tools.
Hope this helps John.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ok so, would an expensive box be better than a cheaper box, if they both have specific settings for that model?

Could a remap cause the same overfueling and clogging to egr and manifold.

Also would your mod 1 be compatible with a third party box?

Ps cheers for your help John ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

All the best John.
Hi John,

It's not massive amounts, and only under load. Seems to smoke less when the box is set to 9 then id did when it was on 7. Though I'll double check that statement :)

I'll give you a call if I Have any queries. Thanks for your input :thumbs::)

C

·
0 Posts
Could a remap cause the same overfueling and clogging to egr and manifold.

Yes, but it depends on who does the remap. The 'better' tuners have a steady line of work in
rectifying issues caused by inferior maps, I will let you work out who they are! It is perfectly possible to have a good remap with no EGR or DPF issues :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts