Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V6 needs discs & pads on all corners. I notice that Autodelta sell cross drilled front disks - they claim "up to 40% reduced stopping distance" @ £288. Does anyone have views on these?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Stopping distance is a function of many more things than just discs. Your tyres, pads, brake fluid etc etc all play a part and need to all be in optimial condition and working properly to stop your car in the shortest possible distance. A quick search on here about brake disc/pad combos will show that the subject is as emotive as what is the best oil.

That said, the general consensus of opinion is that performance pads make more difference than fancy discs. Cross drilled discs have also been known to crack where they are drilled too. Some swear by braided hoses, others avoid them like the plague. Some people like the feel of certain pads, others don’t.

Personally on my GTV I’ve got MTEC grooved and dimpled discs all round... not sure they make any difference but they look good and they are reasonably priced. I’ve got Ferodo DS Performance pads which are excellent but Performance Friction and others also come highly recommended. Fluid is replaced regularly and over xmas if time permits I’ll be fitting refurbed callipers and braided hoses.

Reactions: Hobson284

·
Vendor
45,952 Posts
My V6 needs discs & pads on all corners. I notice that Autodelta sell cross drilled front disks - they claim "up to 40% reduced stopping distance" @ £288. Does anyone have views on these?
If you have a GTV V6, then in my opinion the money would be better put towards a set of the newer 330mm front brake calipers than fancy discs. First reason is because the original 305s will be well past their best unless they've been refurbed already, and secondly because even when working well, they were only ever 'just enough' in terms of stopping power, they were never all that confidence inspiring.

·
Vendor
45,952 Posts
And if you've got the 17" teledials, the GTA 330mm brake upgrade is a bolt on job, no other changes necessary.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any recommendations where to get these from?
I got the Calipers from Partsworld brand new at just under £700 (just checked and currently out of stock, however I think Autolusso Bournemouth can help you though?).

Please note - they are sold as being for the 156 GTA, as these were never standard fit on a GTV. The disk's/pads are Brembo and can be bought from anywhere, but again they will be listed as for the 156 GTA. Be careful on this though, as the early 156 GTA's also had the smaller 305 brakes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any recommendations where to get these from?
I got the Calipers from Partsworld brand new at just under £700 (just checked and currently out of stock, however I think Autolusso Bournemouth can help you though?).

Please note - they are sold as being for the 156 GTA, as these were never standard fit on a GTV. The disk's/pads are Brembo and can be bought from anywhere, but again they will be listed as for the 156 GTA. Be careful on this though, as the early 156 GTA's also had the smaller 305 brakes.
I’ve got 330mm brembos on my Gtv 3.0 and my 156 GTA makes a big difference

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
I general anything that can improve the brakes on a v6 is a good thing. I got fed up with relying on wizardry and witchcraft to stop my v6 and put 330mm gta brake kit on and now I dont have a heart attack every time I need stop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the replies. Euro Car Parts have a sale on (as usual) I could get a set of 330mm Brembo Disks for a 3.2 156 @ just £99.98 for the pair. Ok so the calipers are the expensive bit, but it sounds like the 330 upgrade is the way to go.

Wheels are 17" Teles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts