Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to this weeks Autocar Alfa Romeo are to launch 9 new models over the next three years:
2013: 4c
Late 2013: facelifted Mito ....trims,spec's,price
Late 2013: facelifted Giulietta ..... spec's, price, 4C's 1750 engine to be used in Giulietta
2014: Alfa SUV ..... competing with Q5/X3 based on Dodge Dart Chassis (extended Giulietta)
2014: 4c Spider
2015: Spider ...rwd j.v. with Mazda built in Japan, Alfa body, engines and suspension
2015: Alfetta .... rwd based on Maserati Ghibli compete with 5 series
2015: Giulia.... 159 replacement, fwd or rwd yet to be decided, saloon and sportwagon
2016: New Mito.....replacement for Mito may be based on FIAT 500X, 4 door only

Sales plan of 300,000, durability/quality huge focus, Alfa seen as key to future profits for FIAT Group in Europe. Damien Dally Head of Alfa UK quoted so sounds official and like a reasonable plan for the marque.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Ha, the 159 replacement drops another year, (or had it dropped from 2014 long ago, it's changed so many times I've lost count).

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The SUV is actually based on the Jeep (not Grand) Cherokee, recently launched in the USA. That was based on the Dart, which in turn was based on Giulietta, but the Jeep is the nearest relative...

If Giulia is FWD, it's 2014; if RWD, its' 2015. There's also a Giulia Sportwagon due too, launched shortly after the Giulia.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The sales plan has been stuck at 300,000 for a few years now. They fell miserably short of the target however. I think the nearest they got was about 30% of that. USA has to be the target market. Perhaps with a broader model range they stand more of a chance of hitting the target.

Concerns? Well it seems that FIAT Group are wanting Alfa to fill the role in USA that FIAT do in Europe..... at a higher profit margin. Hopefully this will not compromise design, engineering and styling too much. As with all Alfa Romeo strategic plans, these dates could be a couple or more years out.
Of course what we are all eagerly awaiting is the Alfa SUV ..................... anyone???

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
While the SuV may not be everyone's cup of tea, I think I read once that SuVs out-sell conventional saloons in Europe now.. You have to have one in the line-up.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm looking forward to the SUV... and the spider... I need more space in a car that a sportwagon can give me... I guess the SUV wont manage that too well.

Maybe best solution is a Fiat Van and an Alfa Spider...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm looking forward to the SUV... and the spider... I need more space in a car that a sportwagon can give me... I guess the SUV wont manage that too well.

Maybe best solution is a Fiat Van and an Alfa Spider...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I believe the Mito facelift is already on sale in Italy. On my recent visit there, TV adverts for the Mito seemed to indicate that.

As for SUV, yep I hate them too, but if Alfa Romeo could get 10% of the Italians out of their Audi/BMW/Nissan etc SUV's it would be good for company profit.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I think their rendering of the Spider looks nice, I'm curious as to why it gets the 1.4 an not the 1.75 - but I hope they can keep it too a decent price.

Interesting that they don't follow Car's reports of the dropping the Mitio or Giulietta - which I must admit seemed rather daft; especially with BMW and Mercedes offering hatchbacks.

Fingers crossed for the much awaited Alfa revival.......

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It sounds more credible than Cars article that mentioned dropping the MiTo and Giulietta. Can't see that plan happening at all. I think they'll be the ones left out of the RWD plan, but they'll still exist, especially when you look at the wider Fiat Group plan that includes (apparently) dropping Bravo and possibly Punto, plus Lancia being reduced to just Ypsilon with all other models sourced from Chrysler if financially viable.

On Autocars article they've already carried out the first 2 points and with the G's sales reducing lately I would imagine that wouldn't hurt to have a facelift, though mostly inside and in terms of quality rather than appearance. Not seen much hint of an SUV yet but I suppose the new Cherokee is going to be here late in the year or early 2014, so an Alfa SUV based on that during 2014 doesn't seem impossible. Similarly a soft-top 4C isn't major work.

They really need the Giulia next year (they needed it last year) but since there's been hardly any news on it and we've known about the Alfa/Mazda tie-up for quite some time, it would seem viable that the Spider/MX5 arrives first. If the Alfetta is to be based on the Ghibli then that shouldn't take too much work either, and would go some way to confirming the RWD plan.

It's just the Giulia delay that concerns me, but at least if they start getting something to put in showrooms from next year then the dealers won't all go under. I had imagined nothing else to arrive until after Giulia which would've been disasterous for the dealers and the brand, but this is much more encouraging. Some good news at last perhaps :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Autocar's article closely follows the information that FIAT gave to their own investors.

"Alfetta/169/Visconti" is almost definitely going to based on Ghibli: it needs to be in order to make that design pay for itself. With the Alfa in play, FIAT could have 50,000+ sales per year to recoup the costs of the R&D for this architecture (those costs are relatively low, as they started from the pretty solid base of the Chrysler 300). That could easily arrive in late 2014.

MX5/Spider is 2015. The agreement with Mazda said 2015, and that date hasn't changed. Of all the coming dates, I think that one is set in stone.

There's still a 50/50 chance of Giulia appearing at Geneva. If this is the case, then November or so there'll be "leaks" of mules on the road, then reports from Winter testing in Sweden in new year of 2014.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The reality of all this faffing about with the Giulia is that on a personal level, Alfa Romeo lost two new car sales because there was no replacement for the 159 when I came to change. Not sure how many people were in a similar position but it must have hit some people in the same way.

And when they do come along with a 159 replacement, I will be retirement age and not looking for a new car at all - so Alfa Romeo effectively lost me with the last purchase in 2008. And with each passing day, the competition get stronger and better.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Isn't the engine in the 4C from the Giulietta Cloverleaf anyway? If so, theres nothing new there is there
Aluminium block.

·
Registered
33,124 Posts
Isn't the engine in the 4C from the Giulietta Cloverleaf anyway? If so, theres nothing new there is there
The 4C gets an alloy version of the Giulietta QV engine and this is rumoured to be in the facelifted G.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Huge saving over cast iron block around 20% a compliment to Alfa's engineers and augers well for future models being lighter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts